Should I do the second ablation or not?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was diagnosed with WPS in April since I almost passed out a few times since the beginning of the year.  The cardiologist suggested that I have an ablation done as soon as possible and I followed his advice.  I had the procedure undertaken in late April and was told it was a success. 

About a few after the ablation, I went back for an examination and the EKG showed everything was normal now.  However, my one-month check-up showed that it has come back.  The doctor said that the ablated pathway just healed itself and grew back, unfortunately.

​I did feel hear palpitation or racing heart has returned since two weeks ago, even though I have kept away from any vigorous exercises since the ablation.  I asked him if it is possible that it comes back again after the second ablation.  The doctor said it is not unlikely and if so, he will prescribe medicine for me.  But I am scared of the side effects the medicine may bring.

I am concerned and upset now, not sure whether or not I should have the second ablation done.  I would like to hear from all of you, particularly those who or whose relatives/friends had a second ablation done.  Any suggestions will be appreciated.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

It sounds like you should get it done. I have only had it done. I had ablation one time and the test has come back fine but I still feel Palpatations, and one time my heart went fast while I was laying down.

I was told that the surgery can be difficult at times because your heart is beating and it's tough to keep the magnet over the area that needs to be a ablated. Sounds like this may be the reason for the need.

Is there a reason they wouldn't try for a third time if it does not work the second?

• Posted

Thank you for your input.  

I don't know exactly why they wouldn't try for a third time if the second doesn't work.  Maybe the doctor will then believe that my heart has this tendency of self-healing (just like some crustaceans smile and the eliminated pathway will grow back sooner or later.  

This is just my guess though. 

• Posted

That would make sense.

The second ablation better take care of it. You could try a different doc maybe?

It is soooo frustrating to deal with the condition. Hoping for the best for you.

• Posted

I've had two ablations. I was 30 back then. The first one didn't work at all, the SVT's came back in the hospital 4 h after the ablation. I had a second ablation 3 month later, which was very successful. I felt like new born. I'm 42 now and once in a while have PVCs. My cardiologist said the extra pathway might come back. I don't know, I'll see. But so far it worked great after the second ablation. 

Wish you all the best! 0 votes  Report  Share Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.