Where exactly do your legs hurt? Describe the feeling

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm pretty sure I have RLS. But most things say the pain is like a bug crawling sensation. Mine is a burning and sharp pain and sometimes achy. It is bilateral but worse in my right leg on the outside calf area some and mostly about a one-two inch area right below my knee on the back. It hurts mostly at night and when I sit long or lay down flat. I always kick my legs and have to move them at night. Alleviating factors are getting up to stretch more, hot bath and deep massage. Does this sound like RLS?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Pain can be almost anywhere on legs and at times in arms.  My feet just ACHE while I will have uncomfortable pain in the thighs and ocassionally calves. I have an old skiing injury in one knee -it really manifess there.  The condition definitely can get set off by sitting or lying down. When it hits while I'm driving I'm ready to scream.

I take Requip, Robaxin and Norco as needed.  Hard when Ihave to begin in early afternoon of inactivity.  Moving, walking, etc. definitely gives relief.  Scalding hot showers on my legs numb the nerves until the other meds kick in. Good luck in finding something that can give you relief. I really experimented until I found the above cocktail works (for now).  You may need to do the same.  Also, augmentation is a BIG problem wih much of the various meds.

• Posted

Forgot to mention.  I use Lidocaine 5% patches on the painful areas and they work wonders.  Within  minutes they calm the pain of the nerves. At times I'll have 1/2 a dozen patches (or pieces of patches) on my knee, thigh, tops of my feet, ankles, even had a piece of patch on a toe that felt like electric shocks going thru last night. They really do wonders for th epainful part of this disease.
    • Posted

Do your legs hurt in the same places everyday? I have a few boxes of lidocaine patches but never heard of using them for this . I have PLMD so mine doesn't start until after I fall asleep, but the problem is more muscle contraction/spasm than anything else. It isn't exactly painful, more unpleasant. It is never in the same spot so I guess I would have to wait until it starts to see where to put the patches. Have you ever tried lidocaine ointment? Thanks for the idea.
  • Posted

My jumpiness has moved to achy pain, as well as the twitching.  It can manifest in thighs, calves, knees and/or very painful of late on the tops of my feet and ankles.  Not all every night, can be in one or two areas on different nights.  Some nights in many areas and even hands and arms.  The patches are great at relieving the pain.  I cut them to the size of what area is aching/hurting and put them on.  Often it is as I fall asleep that the symptoms go full force.  I also get muscle contractions and spasms.  I find Robaxin, a muscle relaxant, really help in controlling the spasms.  I take it every evening to try and prevent the spasms from starting.

Have tried lidocaine liquid but didn't seem to help the way the patches do.  Also, I use Aspercreme heating rub on aching areas and that seems to help as well.  Just depends, some days symptoms are mild and controlled by meds, others nothing seems to work.  Bottom line, you might have to trial and error in finding what works successfully for you.  Be aware, augmentation occurs much too often.

symptoms get really bad.  I firmly believe there is a correlation between brain chemicals being triggered as one begins to fall asleep to setting off the condition.  As time goes on, symptoms can begin earlier and earlier.  Resting  or inactivity even earlier in the day can cause my legs to start. If you have

• Posted

Hi

i have all that you describe. My primary RLS sensation is pain in all its varieties. I have recently experienced the most awful cramp like pain in my thigh but the muscle was flaccid. I also have spasms when I am in bed also not painful but annoying. They could be myoclonic jerks but they last too long. You are not alone!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.