Silent reflux

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi im currently taking Pariet 20mg everyday but i find i cant control this current reflux flare up.i have been diagnosed as having short segment barrets with no displasia and have a scope every 3 years. I would love some advice on how to control this aweful condition. Ive also been told i have silent reflux which im confused about.im also wondering if my issue is related to low acid??

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hello,

My only suggestion, get off Pariet - and find something that actually works. They put me on Pariet, and it was useless, didnt control anything. Go on Nexium or Dexilant.

• Posted

Hi Suzanne - I have been diagnosed with Barretts Esophagus and have an endoscopy every three years. The med that I have been prescribed that seems to keep all my symptoms at bay is Pantrapazole 40 mgs.. I take one every morning a half an hour before breakfast. Stay away from the foods and drink that flare your reflux up and of course stress is another factor.

I wish you well. 

• Posted

Thanks Glenn.it all seems to be under control at the moment but i have to stay on the medication according to my gastroenterologist.
    • Posted

How long have you been taking pantoprazole? Do you have any sides from it? I'm also on pantoprazole 20-40mg daily.

• Posted

Hi Esic, I have been on pantoprozole since I had an attack of pancreatitits and my gallbladder was removed. I also suffer from Barrett's Esophagus. I have managed to take the med every other day. I have found that taking it every day, it bothers my arthritis and gives me sore muscles and joints. In the beginning, I thoiught it was just coincidence but found sore joints is a side effect.  

I do a trade off only because the med really helps my stomach.. How about you? Any baggage?

• Posted

I'm on them every day 20mg of pantoprazole does the job. Have Barretts has well, can't go without them, 6 years on them, no side-effects. 

• Posted

Hi Again Esic,

I'm going to ask my doctor to go down to 20mgs.... The med really helps my stomach issues but the 40mgs may be a bit too harsh for my joints and arthritis. I'm not a kid anymore and I guess it's only normal that certain meds could ecsasberate the other issues.

I'm glad it's working well for you and the others. It's a good med.

• Posted

I'm 25 and completely healthy if I exclude the oeshopagus and stomach(barretts, chr.gastritis). I guess this is the reason I've got zero sides. Without this drug I would have been 10x dead already and I mean it.The main problem for me is too much acid production so when I take the med I guess I just get to normal acid production or slighlty below normal.

• Posted

Following an endoscopy I was diagnosed with Barrett's Esophagus about ten months ago. I am on Pantoprazole and don't have any side effects. I was advised to have one 20mg tablet each morning. I can go for a few days without pain but then it strikes with a vengeance, I have pains in my stomach, my throats and constant indigestion. I watch what I eat and avoid what I was told to avoid, the flare ups just happen. My doctor wanted me to keep at 20mg Pantoprazole when I last saw him but I'm going back for some more advice because it is getting me down now.

• Posted

Don't have any sides neither. Same with me I can go without them for a week If I watch my diet but still. I been thinking a lot in the past years and made a conclusion that the best thing is to stay on them otherwise I'll get some critical healh issues, I've got no choice whatsoever.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.