pain and depression

Posted , 4 users are following.

hi my name is gemma in 2005 i was admitted to hospital for 12 days i was very unwell at the time and age 25, i origanally went in fr abdominal pain and couldnt put my foot down straight after xray scan bone scan ans tests they found i had different conditions i have dorsumbular kyphoscoliosis the dr thought i could have surgery then came bac to me and apologised and said sorry i thought you were younger so i have the condition with others but i guess i cant talk about others here as this is just for spine anyway im feeling depressed about the way i look because of my other conditions too i get tired weak really easy im 36 some days i feel much older no one understands how i feel i dont even know how i explain to them that i feel ugly i know this is getting worse and sometimes i dont want too be here i do get told to stand straighter and massages helps sometimes i dont know i am a bit lazy i guess but i have other conditions too how do i tell people i'm ready to  give up.i even been thinking about what age i'm going to be one of those people thats doubled over as im older i been told this i ust dont know what to do when i been for interviews they talk to me like i do nothing all day but i fin try you know ahhh why should i sit and exlain to everyone why is the world so god dam jugmental, some days are better than others yes i have silent illnesses you may not be able too see them all but they are there

i need someone to talk to. 

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Gemma ah poor you!

I know pain with the scoliosis in my lower back!😬I've had therapy for my back, I've had six injections in my back!

I've had locked back pain where I've screamed out!

It's dreadful!

It's worse in winter too.

But I get breathless some days with it, and asthma has not helped me either.

But don't despair there are lots of people that have back trouble, that have had operations, and some have helped, some it hasn't!

But all you can do is just rest up take Odin killers and do gentle exercises if you can.

Get your GP to send you to the muscle skeletal clinic they show you how to manage your pain with mind exercises and Pilates.

I hope I've made you feel a little better.

Liz😀

• Posted

Sorry take pain killers.

This I phone of mine drives me made with its auto correct lol👍

Liz😀

• Posted

Hi Gemma,

I am sorry for your condition, and I know from experience that pain can definitely add to depression. I had surgery as a child for my scholiosis, and developed a curved tailbone in middle age, which was crippling me. I was able to relieve my pain by practicing Bikram (hot) yoga. My results were so remarkable that I am trying to share my story with everyone. I was also on medication for depression and anxiety when I began my practice, and after about 3 months I stopped taking all medication. I don't know if you will find the pain relief that I did, but if you can find a Bikram studio near you it couldn't hurt to try, you could check with your dr. first if you have any concerns. Even lying down in the hot, humid room can help, when I started I could barely move and could not balance at all on one leg. I also feel better about my self-image, it was difficult growing up worried about my curvature and my back scar, but now I look at myself while I practice and think "damn, my body is strong and can do things!" I am still (and always will be) noticably off-center, but it just doesn't bother me as much as it used to...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.