Pinworms maybe

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm a 17 year old girl and for about a week and a half I have experienced anal itching. It's so itchy at night and I try my best to not scratch. I have not seen worms in poop but I took a picture of my butt and saw white dots around my hole. How can I get rid of this! I'm nervous to tell my parents. I can buy medicine on my own if needed.

During this week and a half of itching I went to Canada for 4 days and there was no itching!! Once I got home I was so itchy! Please help

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi kinsey 45918

You need to tell yr parents theres no shame in contracting worms you could have got them from something you ate or from an infected individual. ...go to yr doc show yr doc the pic and start getting treated...best wishes.....

• Posted

If there was no itching at a different location for several days, then I'm more inclined to think that you were using a different body soap, bubble bath or laundry soap in Canada. Keep in mind also that Canada's and the US's standards are different so that the exact same soap or cosmetic may have varying ingredients. Trial and error is your only route. Absolutely tell your mom if she is the grocery shopper. Both of you together can help figure this out.
  • Posted

Hi Kinsey,

Well it was not because you were in Canada, you may have eaten something they hate. Buy the med. Follow directions and repeat  in 2 weeks no matter whether they SEEM gone. If that doesn't work tell your parents or a friend. They are very contagious so  shower no tub soaks for now. AND, do your own laundry or your family will get them. wash sheets and towels too.

• Posted

Try reading the WHOLE post. It has nothing to do with geographical location. It has to do with habits-primarily habits that include that area.
  • Posted

IF IF IF you do indeed have pinworms and it's a big IF then you need to get tested.  Usually your Dr. will give you a little sticky thing you can use at home at a certain time then you take it to the lab and they test. If you have had them for a week, unless you've been VERY careful you've likely spread them throughout your house to some extent. Telling your parents is likely your best course of action as everyone that migth have been exposed needs to take the meds as well as take precautions to not spread them further. The eggs are extremely hardy and are laid in the 1000s to fall off in clothes, toilet seats, under fingurenails, etc. infection is very easy to get  as the eggs can be blown around your house through ducts and pretty much every other way you can think of including being deposited on every surface you touch with an infected body part or item.  Keep in mind also that reinfection is pretty common so don't be discouraged if you do get them again.  There is no shame in these little buggers they are nearly everywhere and getting them in you is just as common. You can quite litterally get them from anything you touch or eat if it's infected. Poor, rich, clean, dirty, they don't care and one is no less likely to get them than the other. Getting rid of them in my experience isn't difficult per se but it takes a bit of diligence. Go to the store ( walgreens, walmart, etc) and get the meds. Generally it's about $9 US which is probably about $12 for you.  You should get enough for your first and second treatment 1 taken 2 weeks after the other. There are a some steps you need to take to make sure you get as much of them out of your house as you can so I recommend you read up on it and get your parents involved asap
  • Posted

I implore you to tell your parents. Also, tell them about not itching in Canada. If you are doing something different here than on your visit, you and your parents can figure this out together. If it's not safe to tell them, then try different things like not taking baths, offering to do your own laundry (try using a bit of shampoo or dish soapinstead of laundry soap to see if that helps), or try only using water in all things that affect that area (baths, laundry, washing). You can try removing or changing one thing at a time or all at once. Allergies can develop at any time so even if you are doing nothing different than say, a year ago, issues could have developed. Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.