Building muscle to help support my back

Posted , 4 users are following.

Mostly I rely on warm pool for my exercises but am trialling two at home ones to help build back muscles.

The first one is watching my posture, standing up straight, putting shoulders back but relaxed, and pretensing I am showing off a lovely necklace.

The second one is using light weights and doing arm curls and lifts.

Hopefully, I can keep motivated enough to do both these each day.

5 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kathleen

I need some back exercises to try to straighten out a stoop that I seem to have developed over the years. I may not pretend about the necklace but the idea is certainly sound. What are you classing as light weights?

• Posted

One or two kilograms only for light weights. Five maybe ok for some people.

So my post was reinstated?

• Posted

I think it is about posture the necklace one and how you hold yourself.

I have mild scoliosis; is that what you have. An X-ray decides that.

• Posted

I fail to see why it was deleted anyway, there's not a thing in it that came near to contravening the rules!
    • Posted

I half suspect that my stooping is related to the reduction in my height which is supposed to be caused by bone problems. I shall try the posture thing though because it may help and shouldn't do any harm.
    • Posted

My physiotherpaist has given me exercises to reduce the tendency to "kyphosis" and I think they help, although it's hard to judge one's own alignment.  Some of them involve leaning against a wall, or standing in a doorway, others lying on a large foam roller. 
    • Posted

Thanks Jean. Any chance of some details please? Possibly by PM.
    • Posted

I think you'd have to talk to a professional.  My exercises were designed for me by someone who evaluated my body's weaknesses and strengths.  But I'll see if I can find something through google which is similar and will pm any link.  
  • Posted

After all problems with the Meds this is the simplest and also the hardest as it takes longer and routines get mixed up with daily life.  Let's all keep at it and tell me constantly to be aware! Thanks!!!

• Posted

Hello Avey,

I had significant problems with the meds and opted for the do-it-yourself route after 5 months of AA. I also do a lot of exercise at a gym and  try and do the "pretty brooch" thing in an attempt to correct a stoop which has reduced my height by 2 inches since first diagnosed with osteopenia which became osteoporosis. I've now been working at my cure for over ten months and have developed my own way of progressing with nutrition supplements and exercise including jumping up and down and walking with weights. I just use the doctors to get the calcium/vitamin D and dexascans.

You do need to be permanently aware of your body and its responses to what you do although a lot of the healing isn't visible to us.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.