Still struggling after 4 years

Posted , 6 users are following.

Not been on here for a while as my condition just gets me done. Was diagnosed with PF 4 years ago after i had baby no 2 but have it in arches of both feet have had lots of treatments and tried pretty much everything. I also get told i dont have PF but posture problems i cant walk far without pain and standing in one place is so painful. I was taking pregablin which is nerve pain drug but no major difference. I had x-ray of lumbar region and one of my discs is slightly sticking out L5 S1 and this can cause leg/foot pain apparently but i get told from physio and chiropractor that this is normal wear and tear as my pin consultant said i can have epidural in lower back to see if they will help. but i am fed up of being poked and prodded and dont want to make wrong decisions. I have orthotics and i have had cortico steroid injections along with shock wave therapy , accupuncture and the rest! But i suffere so much cant have family days out with my 2 young girls and causes tension at home just wish i could sort out my pain and why i have it. I know i have degree of PF but i heard that clears up after 1 or 2 years. Just opening up my story again to get fresh ideas and insight. Sorry for long email i guess it depresses me more than i let on

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

You have my sympathy not being able to enjoy fully your children and bring in pain.

It will improve in time. I can look back to 1996 when walking to the beach on holiday with my children was almost unbearable but after a few years I was walking fells and although PF has now returned It is another game of patience and pain.

Keep faith.

• Posted

Thanks for your support. Can it just disappear? I have had it so long i just feel its permanent now. I try and keep up beat but whne things are not going so well in my life then i feel more down about my feet too. I try not to think too  much about it but then i feel i am hiding from my feelings. I am just fed up of being in pain and cant enjoy life. We went to the beach a few days a go and i was in lot of pain that it takes 3 day sor so to recover which makes me more ratty but everyone wants to have a day out so i try
    • Posted

I honestly believe getting angry with it helps in my case. Managing it as best as possible is key until the condition diminishes. It's amazing in this age medics can't come up with a solution for us.

• Posted

Cushion, cushion, cushion your heel or what ever hurts.  Check my other posts.  Good luck.  doknabox
  • Posted

While the pain in your arches sounds like pf you normally get a very sharp pain just in front of the heel as well. You say you have a disc problem and as all the nerves run up the centre of the spine a diplaced disc will put pressure on these nerves and cause pain signals to be sent. Sort your disc out and the other pain may well go too, you may need manipulation or the discs wielded or pinned so get a referal from your GP to see a spinal specilist.

Pregablin is a very nasty drug, try Indometacin instead as that is for tendon and legiment pain.

Cushioning is esential for pf pain and gel heel pads are esential and worth their wieght in gold to me and my pf has gone away since using them and the indometacin which I take for my knee.

• Posted

Hi I struggled for 6 years, had acupuncture , physio, steroid injections, orthotic insoles etc and spent hundreds of pounds on shoes. At the beginning of this year I had platelet replacement - 8 weeks on crutches and very painful - it was done mid January , my consultant said could take 12 months to see any improvement but I am 85% better. Hardly any pain, can go for long walks and even barefoot! An absolute miracle - can't understand why it's not offered to patients with stubborn PF. Would strongly recommend it. I am like a new person. 😀😀😀😀😀
  • Posted

I'm so sorry you're in so much pain.  As a mom, I can totally relate--when you're in pain, it makes you cranky with everyone!

I know you said you've had shockwave therapy.  Just wondering if you had enough treatments. If you have a very serious case of heel pain, you might need as many as 5-6 EPAT/ESWT treatments.  They need to be a week apart and you cannot take any NSAIDS during the treatment.  Also--if you've had a cortisone shot, you can't have an EPAT treatment until 6-7 weeks after the shot.

EPAT is non-invasive but the acoustic waves disrupt the area/damaged tissue and bring blood to the area to help it heel.  NSAIDS and cortisone work against this.

Hope this helps!  Good luck!

• Posted

Hi sim7777,

Just checking in.  How are you feeling?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.