Pompholyx Eczema after Athletes Foot

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi all. Please can someone help?

About 5 weeks ago i developed really severe athletes foot - now not ever having athletes foot before this was really shocking to me. The doctor prescribed Canesten HC cream and erythromycin - as i am allergic to penicillin and it is now beginning to feel normal again. The problem is now that i seem to have developed the same as what was on my foot on my right hand. I went back to the doctors and he gave me Fucibet cream and told me to continue to take the erythromycin - but i've only been able to take 2 of these a day rather than the prescribed 4 as they were makiing the side of my face burn. The condition has just been getting worse and worse and when i went back to the doctors the beginning of the week she told me to keep using the cream, prescribed another lot of erythromcin and some dermol handwash/moisteriser cream and suggested i wear a cotton glove to bed. The doctors haven't diagnosed it as Pompholyx Eczema but after extensive research on the internet this is what i'm 99% sure it is. I have got a few blisters developing on my other hand and am absolutely terrified it's going to spread like wild-fire. The blisters on my right hand are all over my fingers, palm and beginning to go to the base of my wrist and between my thumb and finger towards the back of my hand. The ones on my palm seem to be merging together and are quite pus filled. My other problem is that after applying the Fucibet cream is does look really red and angry, my fingers seem to swell a bit more and is drawing liquid out. Is this a good thing or is it as i suspect and that is i am allergic to the Fucibet cream?

Any advice would be gratefully recieived or indeed and cures, either by prescription or natural cures or self help.

Please, please i am desperate as it is now making everyday chores almost impossible and even using the computer is agonising sad

Thank you in advance.. 

0 likes, 85 replies

85 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I got Athletes foot many years ago. I got it from the floor af the showers where I was playing Squash. I got rid of it,cannot remember the cream and was told that once in my system that it was there for the rest of my life. If I ever do not completely dry my toes then it will come back. 40 years later and no Athletes Foot yet. If you are from the UK and use a NHS doctor then double check anything they prescribe. Prescribe they will. Too many drugs being pushed out to patients on a hope this works, if not, they have another coloured pill. If that does not work then off to the hospital with you really diagnose the fungus to ascertain the correct treatment. The Doctor is just a first Aide person, a buffer to stop you cluttering up the hospital intake! Too many drugs on the market and it seems most o them are just trial ad error status. One should question the reason for promoting these new drugs.  
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply. So,what is your advice then? I know from a friend in the past they were prescribed medication for a chest infection and went up through the grades of strength until they found the one that worked was the most expensive!
    • Posted

I no longer trust NHS doctors. They give you 6 minutes max and most of these precious mins are introducing yoursel and then they look up your records. They then listen to your apreciation of your complaint which differs fron their medical language and make snap but safe judgements. From many creams each for specific fungus or ailments they decide on one and prescribe. No swabs,no naming the fungus. Their safety is " come back if this does not clear it up". Come back for guess! Most minor ailments clear themselves up in a fortnight by themselves. If it clears up then the assumption is Doctor new the answer. Now you are getting suggestions of what and how to treat. Each suggestion comes with an explanation based on symptoms and the ingredients of the many creams. I like this a lot. Pity your Doctor does not match up to these wonderful people making qualified suggestions.  I can see in the future that we will bypass Doctors and go online, entering age,gender,symptoms,pictures,and any new other ailments anoying you and get a closer diagnosis to cure the problem. Computers and the internet are here to stay.
  • Posted

Have you looked athttps://www.dermnetnz.org/?  Our doctors use it, it has a wealth of information there.

Is your pompholyx itchy?

• Posted

Hi mrsmop.

When the small blisters start to appear they are very itchy and prickly feeling.

• Posted

I used to put my hands and feet in freezing water to try to stop the itching!

Ask your GP if you can try Dermovate/Clobetasol cream, that is the most potent & it may knock your blisters on the head

• Posted

May I ask if the fungal infection on your feet has cleared already?

You mention that you seem to have developed 'the same as was on your foot' on your right hand. Are you by any chance right handed and  did you apply the cream with your right hand? If the treatment on your foot was successfull why use a different treatment on your hand? I am mentioning this because in some cases athlete's foot can indeed spread to the hands or other parts of the body. 

Fucibet cream contains betamethasone (a topical steroid) and fusidic acid, which is an antibiotic. When applying steroid cream or any antifungal cream (especially on already inflamed skin) it may cause a temporary stinging sensation. However, if the condition gets worse, you should consider that you might be allergic to the steroid itself, or the fusidic acid, or any other ingredients in the cream (such as preservatives).

You might also be allergic to the dermol hand wash (which contains benzalkonium chloride, an antifungal and antibacterial agent). Though I think that is less likely since you wash both hands with it. 

If you like you could do a patch test by appling a tiny amount of cream (the size of a coin)  on your forearm and leaving it overnight. That way you could find out if the cream irritates your skin. 

To avoid spreading any infection you might want to refrain from scratching for example your scalp with the right hand. 

With a medication that suits you, fungal and bacterial infections of the skin can be treated very well.  

• Posted

Hi danR.

Thanks for your message. The infection on my foot is now just dry skin but have been advised to carry on using the cream until it's all used up. I did to start with use the same cream on my hand as foot initially but the doctor then prescribed the Fucibet. Yes, i am right handed but washed my hand throughly with anti-bacterial wash every time i saw to my footbut it obviously wasn't enough!

Spoke to my doctor last night and he suggested stop using the Fucibet as i maybe allergic to it but continue with the anti-biotics and see what it's like Monday as it may well be i am allergic to them in which case he'll prescribed a different anti-biotic that begins with a 'D' but didn't catch what it was. 

• Posted

Ps please be careful with antibacterial products, they kill the vital good bacteria which keep the skin healthy and fight all the nasties. Using antibacterial products can cause skin disease.
    • Posted

So it looks like my paranoia with keeping my hands clean backfired!

• Posted

Please look into TSW (topical steroid withdrawal syndrome/red skin syndrome)

God bless

• Posted

It sounds classic TSW to us! Let us know how you go.
    • Posted

So, do i continue to use the cream and anti-biotics if it's TSW Bellla??
    • Posted

TSW is caused by using steroids. The only treatment and cure, is to stop them. This causes worsening of symptoms, which can last some time, but will eventually go. Unfortunately cold turkey is the only way. Read up, and best of luck.

Which antibiotics are you using? When did you last have a swab of the areas?

• Posted

Thankyou for your help Bellla. You seem very clued up on this? Voice of experience or are you a professional?

The antibiotic at the moment  is Erythromycin. Haven't had swab of hand but did have swab of foot at the time ( a month ago ) and that had a bacterial infection.

• Posted

Long term ill person who unfortunately had no choice but to know the medical world too well. Developed TSW last year after using steroid creams after MRSA. it's my mouth and face too so it's difficult. It also affected me systemically, headaches, nausea, temperature and chills, diareah, periods stopped, low white count etc. Fortunately I've not had skin affected whole body.

I'd push for another swab of both areas, stop the steroid creams, and go from there. Although it is worth noting allergies to antibiotics can cause skin irregularities.

Unfortunately with TSW most skin can't tolerate anything at all for some time, no moisturisers, no creams etc. The seeping smelling shedding burning itching etc etc, all takes time where the skin has to learn to heal itself. . However can be anywhere from 3 months to 3 year. Good news, usually the shorter time one used steroids, the shorter the recovery! There is hope.

• Posted

Where in the UK are you Bellla?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.