I'm in excruciating pain after corticosteroid injection in foot

Posted , 3 users are following.

about 6 months ago I had my first corticosteroid injection in the middle of the top of my foot.  The results were amazing although only lasted 2 months.  Today I had my 2nd one and the experience couldn't be more different.  It was much more painful and since having it 7 hours ago the pain has got unbearably worse.  I can't walk at all as I can't put any pressure whatsoever on my foot as it's so painful. I can't put ice on it as the pressure is too painful.  I'm okay if I lie down and don't move my foot at all but as soon as I move it slightly it is excruciatingly painful.  Has anyone else had an injection on this site and how long did I it take to recover well enough to be able to walk?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi,  I don't know much about those shots but I know lots of people who have had great experience with EPAT (Extracorporeal Pulse Activation Technology)--sometimes referred to as ESWT or Shockwave Therapy. It's non-invasive and there's no downtime.  Maybe you can ask your doctor about it or ask if he/she knows of anyone who provides it.

Hope you feel better soon!

• Posted

Hi ebh2403

my foot has got a lot better since I posted .  I still have some discomfort but for now I'm happy with the injection.  I know it will wear off and my next step will be to have mid foot fusion if the pain gets too much.

• Posted

So glad you're feeling better! In the event that the pain comes back (which I sertainly hope it doesn't), before you go doing anything that's invasive ie. surgery, I'd really encourage you to ask your doctor about EPAT/ESWT.  

Good lucksmile

• Posted

I had an injection this morning and I am now home in bed due to pain from the injection? How many days/ hours before you had less pain?
    • Posted

I had my injection in the afternoon.  The pain gradually got worse as the evening progressed.  Then on the following day I could not walk or put any pressure on it whatsoever, eg I couldn't put a sheet over it. I had to stay in bed all day.  The next day I woke up feeling much better and was able to walk, climb stairs etc and by the middle of that day I was fully recovered. I would estimate  it was about 36 hours.  Hope you feel better soon.
    • Posted

I'm counting the hours and hope that it will be better by tomorrow.  Thank you for sharing your information with me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.