Migraine

Posted , 4 users are following.

Please can anyone tell me if they have developed migraine type headaches, either whilst on Amlodipine, or after they have come off the drug ? If so, please could you say how long the condition lasted, or if it still a problem ?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Yes.....I was getting headaches at 3-4am EVERY morning and having to get up to take medication to ease it (not that it always worked). Finally stopped taking Amlodopine and EVENTUALLY they petered out and now have no problem. Hope that cheers you up a bit smile
    • Posted

Yes it does cheer me up a bit, thank you. Although I ditched Amlodipine about eight weeks ago, and am still having the headaches and dreadful tinnitus ! Really pleased you are feeling better - sometimes these medications seem to make you worse than you were in the first place!
    • Posted

Tinnitus is listed as one of the known side effects of Amlodipine, it affects around 1 in 1000 people taking the drug. Although the headaches should have stopped within a couple of weeks of stoping amlodipine.

However, do you have access to a bp monitor? The next time you have a headache and or tinnitus you should check your blood pressure. Both can be symptoms of sudden changes in blood pressure, either a sudden spike or drop, and its worth checking to be sure.

It is also worth mentioning that some people suffer headaches and other short term side effects when previous high blood pressure is brought under control. It usually subsides once the body gets used to the lower blood pressure, and is one reason it is important to talk to a GP before stopping any BP medication.

• Posted

Hi Robert, Many thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, neither myself or the GP were aware of the tinnitus side effects of Amlodipine, as it wasn't shown on the instruction leaflet ! I certainly rue the day I took it - and wish I had checked the Internet first. I do have a BP monitor, and thank you for suggesting doing a reading when I have the symptons again, I really hadn't thought about that, and will certainly do as you suggested. I hope all is well with yourself, and thank you once again for your advice.
  • Posted

Its taken MONTHS for all my symptoms caused by Amlodopine to finally go....and I mean months. Most of my horrid symptoms went within the first few weeks/months but some (like the headaches) took almost a year to finally go and a full 18 months for the horrid cough to disappear wink 
    • Posted

Crikey, I will have to hang on in there then ! I feel better now you have told me that, and I am pleased you feel better too !

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.