Cimzia 6 weeks in with increasing joint pain. Anyone else experienced this?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'll post this in PA forum too but searched for Cimzia and eneded up in AS.

I started Cimzia 6 weeks ago after 12 years on Enbrel for PA. New inflammation in the jaw and sacroiliacs discovered by mri scan, not in blood!

I use butrans for pain relief started at the same time. I've gradually become aware that all sorts of "new" joints are hurting, coming through the patch - elbows knees hips wrists

Woke up one night remembering that the leaflet that came with the Cimzia did give joint pain as a side effect... so I've reluctantly concluded that Cimzia is a) not probably not working and b) giving me extra joint pain that is breaking through the patch.

Funny side effect to give you extra joint  pain? 

Anyone else experienced this? I need to contact rheumatology nurse about this I think????? 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi sorry to hear this hasn't worked for you I've been on all of them and I had the same experience.I would suggest if you haven't been on it for a few weeks see how it goes of you have been on it for a few weeks and feel no improvement then ring your rhumi hope you get some help or improvement
  • Posted

Hi.  I have SpA and Osteoporsis, was given Prolia injection for Osteoporosis which gave me A LOT of muscle and back pain.  I regret it, as it has made the SpA sysmptoms so much worse.  

Balance the information from practitioners, and books and people and other sources to come to whats best for you.  Best of luck.

• Posted

Hi O., I had a similar experience with Humira. When I got off Humira, the "extra" pain had gradually stopped too. Also - is it possible that you are in transition between Enbrel and Cimzia and the body is "adjusting" to the new med? In either case, talk to your dr and the nurse. Hope that you will feel better soon...
    • Posted

I had a gap of 2 weeks after stopping Etanercept before starting Cimzia and managed fine during that period.

Using Butrans patches for pain relief is a wonderful way of avoiding peaks and troughs of pill taking but not if you overdo it, and fail to pace yourself. Felt like I'd been hit by a bus on a couple of occasions when I walked myself silly with no immediate pain in the early weeks of Butrans. Huh! Paid for it later! 

I'll just have to keep going...2 weeks to 3 month window to find out if it works! Ah well halfway through now...

• Posted

Thanks! Nothing like being your own guinea pig!  I'll just squeek to keep myself amused! 
    • Posted

After 8/9 weeks the drug abruptly kicked in! Cimzia is keeping me comfortable. The fortnightly injection is handy and I like the new syringe - easier to use

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.