leg cramps

Posted , 3 users are following.

thanks to everyone who responded to my original post.  Seriously...thank you.  I did some further research based on your comments and have an appointment on Monday with my family doctor.  Since my heart attack 8 years ago, I have been on Statins.  After my research, I am concerned with my taking this mediation as I have not, nor never have had high choestrol.  One major side effect of this medication is leg cramps.  Mine have been debiiitating since our Cdn long weekend when I got overheated.  I completely empathize with everyones comments about the severity of the pain.  Just amazing isnt it!  I even got stuck last week shopping while pushing the shopping cart and both legs cramped!  How the heck would I get home!  Taking a cab, calling a friend, an ambulance would not work and as one lady said she would rather just die than endure that pain.  Hard to explain how terrible it is unless youve been there...all day all night.  

One thing I have done since originally writing is taking this particular pill earlier than normal and then just before bed (10:30-11:00 or later) taking two Magnesium 180 mg tablets.  I have to admit the cramping has reduced to two or thrree per day and one overnight....  lets see what the doctor has to say tomrrow and I will be taking her my research materials as well.

There is a lot of research out there but much is Dr. Google.  We need to have more information from our care providers I would think.  Or....a referral to someone who knows more.  Nothing wrong with that!

Thank you so much again for getting me going on tihs research.  Best best luck to everyone suffering from this.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Another update!  The doctor is reluctant to reduce medication BUT the leg cramps have eased up considerably.  On the Canadian long weekend, I got terribly overheated.  Thats when the extreme cramps started as well as swelling of my feet and ankles (which went down on day two and the cramps started).  I've been super hydrating, eating healthier, keeping out of extreme heat and the cramps have eased up to perhaps two per night compared to all day , all night.
  • Posted

well!  quite the update coming!  The all day, all night cramping has stopped mysteriously!  I started the magnesium later at night and moved my heart medication earlier thinking that the magnesium later would give me a nights sleep.  The only thing I can absolutely pinpoint is dehydradation and a mild sun illness from the May 24 weekend in Ontario.  It did happen again.  We had another very sunny hot weekend when my feet and ankles swell and the cramps were extreme.  Soooo. I am watching my time in the sun and  have increased the water intake.  Keep in mind, I have had leg cramps since I was a child (old now at 60+...I wont say exactly how much +) and my father had severe leg cramps.  Its so very painful when it happens as I cant walk them off and I actually get them while walking!  well, thats it for now.  Watch for dehydration and sun exposure, check your medications and pray!  Thanks everyone for your responses and hints and advice!  Greatly appreciated.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.