Late diagnosed OI

Posted , 2 users are following.

66 fractures and counting

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

5 years ago I was diagnosed with OI by the Veterans Hospitol, and it took us 4 years to figure out pain managment. When I was a kid in was told I was just clumsy when I broke a bone. In the military I shattered a finger and my skull at the eye socket to my upper jaw. No one put 2 and 2 together for OI. I am currently at 66 fractures and counting and my bone density is getting worse each month. The doctors said it from exposure to depleted Uranium while I was in service. My problems didn't become life altering until I was 40. The pain began so strong and overwelming, after more tests it was said my bones are not healing anymore. Every finger is fractured and held by a equivalent to Elmer glue. I am currently on Morphine and Feytnal for pain control but it doesn't help much. It also took me 3 years fighting for disability to finally win and of course the payments are not even enough to pay rent. My wife and I have reached out to OI groups but they said they only help children. I'm not trying to get simpathy, I'm just fustrated.
    • Posted

I can certainly understand your frustration. That is sinful the VA was so negligent regarding your diagnosis. Have you checked online for people with this disease. After all you served your country and this was the result. There should be better treatment from the VA . Write ur congressman and bitch till the cows come home. I am so sick of the VA treating our be vetrans in some cases so poory!.

thank you for your service. I pray you will find all that you need to sustain you thru this journey.

peace & heeling

HOPE4CURE

• Posted

So sorry that it has taken so long to get a correct diagnsis. Sounds like you can now get treatment.

HopeĀ 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.