GS and corticosteroids (reduce serum bilirubin concentrations)

Posted , 4 users are following.

Has anyone with GS took corticosteroids and felt wonderful? I took some against inflammation before a sinus surgery for 5 days and 3 more days after. I felt much more energy and stamina during this time than ever in my life, besides I could loose weight (which is always hard for me), contrary to many users who complain about many nasty side effects. Then, it occurred to me that it could have helped me with my hyperbilirubinemia. So my search rendered the following article which supports my hypothesis. I am to discuss this with a physician soon, however, I am skeptical that I could find an interested one in my area. Would you mind consulting your physicians? (The drug I took is named Prednol, it contains Methylprednisolone).

"Effects of corticosteroids on bilirubin metabolism in patients with Gilbert's syndrome"

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/7286896/

Abstract states:

"These results suggest that the main effect was enhancement of hepatic uptake or storage of bilirubin, which may be an important mechanism whereby corticosteroids reduce serum bilirubin concentrations in various liver disorders."

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi cataltar,

Thanks for the question and info. This is interesting to me since I thought the reason I had extreme reactions to corticosteroids was due to GS. If I take steroids they seem to stay in my system for days and the side effects are exagerated. If I have to take steroids again maybe I should try Methylprednisone.

Thanks again!

• Posted

Hi cataltar

Could you say what type of corticosteroids did you use and dosage? Are you still using corticosteroids?  Wainting for your response. 

• Posted

The drug I took is named Prednol, it contains Methylprednisolone.

At the time I took 64mg per day. I do not take it anymore. However, every now and then, even if I take 16mg, I feel a lot better. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.