I've been diagnosed with hiatal hernia and chronic gastritis. Is it OK to continue with prevacid?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Its been almost 3 years that I've been on and off with ppis, from omeprazole to lanzoprazole. This last 2 months I was taking 30 mg of prevacid twice daily because of silent reflux that seems to burn my throat. I wonder if there's anyone out there experiencing tinnitus and dizziness and ear pain in the morning due to silent reflux. I tried and stopped the prevacid, but barely within 5 days the acid came with a vengeance. Has any anyone been successful in weaning off from this ppis? I guess we just have to live with them for the rest of our lives. Thanks in advance to those who will give me some words of comfort.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

If you have gastritis, it's definitely not the time to consider coming off lansoprazole and you may actually need double dose (ie 60mg lansoprazole or 40mg omeprazole) for a few weeks until that subsides. But do discuss this with your doctor.

Your ear problems are likely to be reflux related. I am 68 but have had reflux problems all my life, including ears which I used to have syringed weekly when I was 5 or 6 years old - the only effect being I still carry those scars which prevented me getting a medical clearance to complete a diving course some years back.

However, PPIs (eg lansoprazole, omeprazole) may not help reduce your reflux. They will reduce the acid so the reflux is less dangerous. Be warned, frequent reflux of acid can cause permanent damage to your oesophagus (Barrett's Oesophagus) which has the ability to mutate to cancer. (I have had Barrett's at least 22 years. ) That is why you need to reduce acid and/or reflux. To do the latter requires lifestyle changes or surgery. (I had Laparoscopic Nissen Fundolication 8 years ago which gave me my life back. Prior to that I'd been on PPIs for 15 years increasing to 8mg omeprazole daily. )

If you need PPIs, they should be taken every day for the period required, not starting and stopping. When you stop, you can get a rebound effect as your stomach produces more acid than you need. If you need to stop PPIs, you need to reduce gradually over a week or two.

See the attached graphic showing the incidence of symptoms of Silent Reflux and see the PPI dangers page on the www BarrettsWessex org uk website if you are worried about the scare stories of PPI use.

And read the free encyclopaedia / website www DownWithAcid org uk to find out all you want to know about Acid, reflux, complications and Management.

• Posted

Sorry forgot attachment.
  • Posted

Lansoprazole (TIVA) brand worked for me and it is fine until you try and weane yourself off it.  It has to be done over a long period, by taking less and less.  I would rather take Peptac won't enter your blood stream.  Liquorice and peppermint tea is amazing for acid.  I will never touch Lansoprazole again too many side effects.
  • Posted

Hello. I suffered with chronic gastritis for 2 years before I finally healed myself and it wasn't easy. It involves some BIG diet and lifestyle changes. Firstly...what caused your gastritis ? H pylori ? NSAIDS? Diet abuse? 

Like barrets says...if you are currently on meds and still have gastritis symptoms then stay on it. You'll just make yourself worse coming off. Only Start to ween off once you feel good and have no symptoms. And ween off slowly, month by month. And use H2blockers and Gaviscon to help. 

To heal I took 40mg (double dose) of rabeprazole per day for a month, then 30mg for a month. And then 20mg for 2 months. Then 10mg for 2 months. I am off PPI now and just use Gaviscon or h2 blockers if needed. Here's the key thing - YOUR DIET NEEDS TO BE STRICT ! No alcohol for 3/4 months. No tea or coffee. No high fat foods. No acidic foods and drinks. Nothing fizzy. After a month you should notice improvement and can relax things slightly but only relax your diet slightly and now and then. I ate super strict mon - fri and then relaxed a bit on weekends. Allowed me to heal. 

If you need any more help let me know. 

• Posted

took a endoscopy last week and found out I have mild gastritis and a small hiatal hernia. waiting to go to gastrologist but in the mean time I'm suffering with burning stomach pain, constant burping and heartburn what can I do?

Thank you

Angela

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.