Help with any ideas on my complex PTSD.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello. This is my first time talking to anyone or using a forum. But im so desperate and something ive learned on my journey is that talking about it always helps. 

Bascailly coming up to a year and a half ago i was disganosed with a complext PTSD disorder combined with conversion disorder which is a neurological symptom disorder. I was both sexually and pysically abused from a young age and now am 24 years old. I think i bottled it up for so long this its way of coming out. I only moved away from the abuse 2 years ago and has been a roller coaster of a ride to get myself settled. I dont have any family nor any friends. I feel so alone.

My conversion is what kills me as the symptons i get from  this are in a way rather disabling. I have suffered extremely with blindness and my eyes will go blind on average 70-150 times a day. I have learnt to be able to bring them back and came usaully get them back within a few minutes. When my eyes go blind i cant see a thing just total blackness. When my sight returns i have ful normal eye sight but with some slight discomfort in my eyes.

The same thing effectively happens in my legs as I suffer from paralysis and this can happen and often does at the same time as the blindess. As you can imagine that is very sacry as i cant see and cant move either. I normally only get it in my legs and have no feeling at all in them. It has lasted on one time up to 15hrs where i was totally unable to move. But can vary from minutes to hours. I also sometimes get tge paraylsis from my neck all the way down  to my toes. Although i cant feel it i do feel pain. I have though worked out that my mucsles in my legs manily my claves posssibly are causing it and if i put extreme pressure onto the clave i can feel the muscles in spasam and if i pushed on it it can sometimes bring the feeling back. It sounds weird but works.

So basically i struggle to do anthing for myself and i used to be a very independent  hard working girl. I cant work or even walk to the shops. I feel so lost in life. I feel very low and just want things to get better so i can be myself again and take part in life fun.

I do take anti depressants as well as another anti anxiety tablet to help. I have tried CBT and I did start some general counselling but they thought I was too much of a hard case and they felt I needed speicialst help. Which is what still a year on im waiting for because of funding issues. So atm im just strugglin hugly each day and waiting for some much needed help.

If anyone has any suggested of something that could help me in anyway or suffers with conversion disorder id love to here how you cope. Any tips of anything literally to make me feel more human again. Tips on any good counselling etc Just any help.............

Thanks in advance x   

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hey, I don't want to upset you, but have you considered bringing suit against the person/people who abused you?  Get a good lawyer to bring a civil suit, maybe, and the person who hurt you will have to pay for your treatment.  The attorney won't charge you any money until you win your case.  Also, if you haven't reported this to the police (criminal charges), you should talk to the lawyer about doing that.  He can get all the documents in order to keep you protected - restraining orders, witness protection, et cetera, and the government can work to protect other people who might be targets of the same person who abused you.

I'm not going to lie - even starting the process is terrifying, but doing it is really empowering.  Honestly, it's the only way I have been able to heal and proceed as a healthy individual.

I can't connect with you on the conversion disorder.  Physically, the worst symptoms I get from my PTSD are stuttering, confusion, and slurring.  I'm also more accident prone and will walk into things and not feel it, so I get bruised up after I've had a breakdown.  It sounds terrifying, and I feel sorry for you!

I have terrible flashbacks, and they come at weird times.  I have OCD, too, which makes them worse and makes me dwell on unhealthy thoughts.  What has helped me specifically to deal with that is to write about the flashbacks in a journal.  It helps me to "get it out of my head" and it helps me to feel like I'm more in control of the situation.  When I write about my past abuse, I realize that it is over now, that it cannot harm me anymore, and that I am an adult woman who has grown and changed in spite of the abuse; I don't let it define me anymore.

One thing does suck about the journaling, though; I have a hard time de-stressing after I write, sometimes.  It helps me to get the dark memories out, one at a time, but I have to set limits on how many memories I am going to write about in one sitting, or they all come flooding back and bother me until I've written about all of them.  I think it's an aspect of my OCD, but I have spent entire mornings writing until I got blisters on my fingers, and then spent the rest of the day sad.  I've also had episodes where my PTSD interferes with my work because I fixate on a memory and need to write it out, which brings back more memories - and I spend all day writing. 

I suggest scheduling a time for writing, with maybe like an extra 20-minute grace period, that you never exceed unless it really is helpful, and scheduling an activity right after that - maybe ask an old friend to call at that exact time, or tell them to be expecting the call.  Log on to an online game for a scheduled raid with your guild.  Go to an event in the community - go skating or to a ball-game.  If you absolutely have to, have a go-to video game or show to de-stress immediately after you finish writing, so you can focus on healthy things and don't brood.

As far as the no-friends and new city thing goes, I feel you there.  I moved to this city last July, and I haven't really made any friends.  Luckily, my university has a Violence Prevention Center that has advocates for victims of sexual violence.   When I felt alone, and like I didn't have anybody in my corner, I went to them and they really helped me turn my life around.  They gave me the strength I needed to file a lawsuit against one of my abusers and a police report on the other one.  They were there for me the whole way, and they helped me to get into the appropriate counseling.  They gave me phone numbers for women's centers and rape crisis phone lines and for free government legal services and aid.  If you are a student - use this resource.  If not, go to a women's center or shelter, and they will be wonderful.  They can get you set up with counseling, medical aid, and protection - and it's all confidential!  They won't report anything unless you ask them to. When I didn't have anyone in my corner, the Violence Prevention Center at my school was my only support, and I think that a women's center could be that for you.

One thing that I did realize after I spent some time working with the VPC, though - I had more friends than I thought I did.  They were people that I never thought of as very good friends, but when I opened up, some of them turned out to be far nicer than I thought.  Everyone on your Facebook has the potential to be a good friend to you - some of them will be willing to listen to you open up about the abuse, and others will offer to go out to the movies with you or invite you along on outings and generally make sure that you're not alone and that you have other activities to focus on.

Lastly, just because you have moved away from some of your support network doesn't mean you have lost them.  I was really depressed for a while because I felt like I didn't have any friends, but then I realized that I do have friends - they're just not in this city.  I try to keep in contact with my old friends back home over Facebook, by telephone, online games, and Skype.  Actually, one of my best friends from high school Skypes me from China whenever I need him!

My therapist is going to work with me on making new friends.  Sometimes I feel crazy and like I'm the only one who does this, but after the abuse, it's makes me feel scared to trust people.  Do you ever feel like that?  I am trying to find a church group; religion is still hard for me because of some of the details of my abuse and my disorder, so right now I'm really just trying to find a community.  Volunteering really helps, and there are lots of close-knit volunteer groups that are super kind and welcoming.  I love to skate, so I've been making an effort to hit the roller rink, and I have met a few people there who told me about a local roller derby - I think I'm going to try it out, and try to meet people that way.  They meet on Wednesday, so wish me luck!

I'm trying to take my own advice when I say just go to community events and talk to people.  Take a free class - some cities have community classes on everything from art to politics to firework making.  Network with some other survivors of abuse - it made me feel wonderful knowing that I was not alone and that I was not crazy.  Lots of people had been through the same things I had and struggled with their daily lives in simlar ways, so I wasn't crazy.  I know there are support groups for people who have been through sexual assault  and long-term abuse.  Join a club or a group - particularly one with scheduled meetings.   (I play Vampire the Masquerade in a gaming organization, and I have met wonderful people through it - people who were better supports for me than my oldest friends; I also met other survivors of abuse in the gaming organization, and we bonded once we found out that we shared that in common.)  Also, community events and conventions are a great place to make new friends!  I am going to an anime convention this weekend, along with friends from my old home, and I always meet fabulous new people.  Conventions really are close-knit communities, regardless of what the conventions are on.  I personally go to comic book conventions and gaming conventions and anime conventions, and some sci-fi conventions, because that's who I am, but there are conventions for everything!  There are professional ones and hobby ones. 

This year at the anime convention, I am going to make an extra special effort to meet some people and remain in contact with them.  There are people that I know there - as in recognize, and have talked to and hung out with a little, but don't know the names or contact info.  My personal goal for myself is to really turn those things into real relationships and friendships.

Also, a big thing for me was having little relationships with the people around me.  It's important to me to have superficial relationships as well as deep ones, so I chat with my apartment manager whenever I see her, and I have tried to get to know the mainenance man and the neighbors, and I talk with my boss and my lab group, and I know the barista and the owner at my favorite coffee shop, and I know all of the cashiers at my local grocery.  The owner of the local ice cream shop gave me a free scoop of icecream because I talked with him!  For me, I needed the distraction and the connection with lots of little people - it gives you stuff to talk about and to think about, and it makes you realize that there are lots of really nice people in the world who all have their own triumphs and struggles, and it gives them opportunities to be nice to you and vice versa.  And it makes you realize that there are lots of people who care about you in little ways. 

It always helps me to get out of my own head to hear about other people's lives and it helps me to live past my abuse.  For example, it's hard to worry about my own past when I'm talking with and praying for a cashier whose husband currently has cancer, and when I go home at night I tell my boyfriend all about it.  (My OCD makes me get stuck in my own head a lot, so I really really need healthy things to think and talk about.)

I'll pray for you. Reply back to me on this post? smile

Cyndi

• Posted

Hello Cyndi,

Thank you for your reply.

Hope you dont mind me asking but have you been through a simliar thing to me.???? Sounds like you have?

In answer to your first question yes these incidents have been reported to the police but sadly i didnt have the courage to go through with it as firstly it deeply scared me and secondly my health deteroiated with this conversion and at this time we had no idea what was happending with me. went through so many health investigations, at first they thought it was a stroke etc so i had so much going on. No where to live. Was stuggling to work and keep my head held high. I do have contacted with the police and they are waiting for me to be ready to go futher.

But it is something i will be going back to but after i have worked through my tramua work.

I would really like to hear how your court case etc went if that what happened? 

Ive been given the choice to either do written statements or a video statement but currently i still 2 years on after leaving i cant say alot of it.

I am great at writing and can do it in great lengths but sadly i think until i can say it its trapped.

I 100% totally agree with you that getting out in the communty and meeting people and trying new activites is key. Ive been told this so many times. 

For me sadly i wouldnt make it to the end of my road without collapsing becaause i would lose feeling in my legs. Or go blind and not be able to get back to my home. 

So i very much am trapped in my own home really. I honstly only have one person in my life who i talk to and understands me. I dont have anyone who i can call to come round to chat or help me.

I did also start writing a diary and it did help but i really feel like i need to talk to someone. Ive never felt so low. 

To explain more so you can i understand. I used to be 2 years a ago a girl who worked 16hrs of the day, both with my full time job as well as evening work. The full time job was because i needed the money but also a distarction. work was my distraction. I then did the evening work as i coudlnt bare to go home. I literlly would run myself into the ground everyday but u felt like i was doing the right thing. and actually enjoyed my  jobs to be honest.

Now i am a girl who physically cant get out of bed most days if my feeling in my legs are gone. I struggle to take a bath, sleep, make my self something to eat. I hardly sleep so each day feels like a week etc. Im just not me anymore.

Of course i wouldnt ever want to go back to my old life but certain aspects i miss. Like not being able to work.

I just dont know what to do to try stay postive.

Im sorry if none of this makes sense. But thank you,

• Posted

So, what happened to me was nowhere near as long-term as what happened to you.  When I was 4-5 I was sodomized by a priest at a Catholic school, and sometimes vaginally raped as well.  I don't remember all of it because I have fugue and dissociation, but it happened a lot.  I never told anyone about it until last year (I am about to turn 23 now, which is important b/c the statute of limitations runs out on my 23rd birthday.)

So, about 2 months ago I hired some lawyers to bring a civil suit for me against the Catholic church.  I wanted to do a civil suit because I want some recompense for all the things that went bad in my life because of the abuse - for all the pain and trauma, and all the relationships it ruined and all the good things I missed out on.  I don't know exactly who did it, but I'm hoping that in the course of the discovery for the case, someone will be able to testify as to who it was.  I have hazy recollections of the man, and I think I remember a name, but I'm scared to say it in case I'm doing that thing that rape victims sometimes do, where they fill in the wrong person's identity.

The criminal charges are being filed against my ex-boyfriend.  After being abused as a kid, I let 2 of my ex-boyfriends sexually assault me for years, because I didn't feel good enough about myself to stop it.  When I filed the police report, I told them I wanted to report a sexual assault, but the real answer is probably that it's a rape charge, because we started to have sex and I told him that I didn't want to continue but he didn't stop.

I admire you for reporting all that, and I understand the health problems caused by the stress of dealing with the court stuff, at least a little bit.  I haven't heard back from my lawyers except for them telling me they need medical records, and them sending me a contract naming the defendents.  On the ex-boyfriend front, the detective is still gathering information; unfortunately, one of my friends from my hometown is a witness in favor of my ex because I sent her a text lying about what happened and pretended to be happy and that it was consentual, so now she is under orders not to talk to me and she has uninvited me from her wedding, when I used to be a bridesmaid. sad  It has made things really hard between me and my other old friends, many of whom think I'm wrong for bringing charges against my ex.   It doesn't help that they all still live in my hometown, or are teaching English in China, for that matter.  Admittedly, my hometown is only about an hour and a half drive away, but the fact that we don't see each other casually anymore has made us drift apart. Reading about your situation makes me realize though that these things aren't such an obstacle as I thought before.

But anyways, I'm still in the very beginning of the court process, and it's already causing me to have flashbacks, panic attacks, and depression, as well as bringing back my OCD.  I had actually quit therapy at the end of the fall semester because I thought I was better, but as soon as I even started considering bringing charges everything got exponentially worse.  They just prescribed me Zoloft, and it will take about a month to know if it's helping.

I first started writing journal entries about my childhood abuse when I was like 13, honestly, but I was really in denial and would tear them out and throw them away, or put away my journal except for when I was really really down.  I think that I started small.  Like, the first one I can remember was just a sentence, "I think I got raped."  I don't really know why I can write about it now, but I think that talking about it has helped me to not have so much emotion when I think about it.  Gosh, I never really thought about the fact that coming to terms with it has taken me ten years. 

And I have had fugue, which goes away gradually, so I haven't had to deal with it all at once.  Gosh, I can't imagine what you're going through! 

What kind of trauma excercises are you doing?  My counsellor is trying to get me to do Mindful Meditation or EMDR, but I'm nervous.  What are your excercises like?

It breaks my heart to hear that you're so isolated.  No one should have to go through that, particularly someone who has been through so much.  Are you a part of any online communities?  I have always loved DeviantArt, because there are all kinds of original character writing tournaments, and the artists on there love to do art trades, where they write about or draw their friends' characters.

Also, have you tried to reach out to a local church?  I know that my local church does "ministry to the homebound" - they not only bring Communion, but they also will bring meals and just come and visit with people who can't leave home.  Some of the groups in my old city would even come visit your house with therapy pets.  And my neighbor is part of some programs where her church and her medical group both come by in their van and pick her up to take her to some sort of community gathering.  I really hope you can get into something like that!  You deserve to get out of the house and have a good time!

Maybe some online classes would help you to feel like you are accomplishing things and moving forwards?  Sometimes colleges offer online courses for-credit for free as a service to the community, or you might be able to get a need-based scholarship, with your application fee waived and everything, to a school.

I admit, I really don't understand your situation, I've never been home-bound, and I've never even really been sick, but I would like to be your friend.

Do you use Skype?

• Posted

HEY. 

Omg wow im so sorry to hear this. You have equally been through so much. Do you have family support? i.e mum, dad, siblings.

As im learning everyone needs someone.

You must be so scared with this court case hanging over you espically as its interfered with your friendship. I can only imagine what its doing to you and of course totally understandble your symptons have worsened. I also understand the feeling that you feel worthless and that you allowed (if thats the right word) for you exs to take advangtage of you. Of course you didnt want that after everything you have been through. I do not understand why men do this to women. Stop means stop. 

Just rememeber no  matter what has happened its not you fault and you are beatiful and wonderful as you. 

But I 100% understand the feeling you have, my reaction has always been never to let anyone touch me or trust or allow myself to get close to anyone. Hence why at the age of 24 ive never had a boyfriend. 

Ive imporved alot though now and can accept some help now. Ive learnt that a hug can mean so much.

Im here for you through your time in court etc. I failed at it the first time but  have had lots of chats with the police. 

Is that medication you mentioned an anti- depressant? I also take an anti depressant and took me ages to find one that helped. But have you ever tried a tablet with a more immediate effect more like an anti anexity tablet. I could recommened a few that ive tried if that helps.

In terms of trauma exercise i sadly still 2 years into my recovery havent started my trauma work sad(((((( . I started some more general counselling and they said i was far too complex for there skills. So im still waiting to have an assessment at a hosptial in east london which is meant to be the best and will have all sorts of help. Not sure what yet though. Hope they have something as im dying from this.

I did try CBT. Have you tried it? What are you learning at the moment?

I could explain something ive learnt if you like its called the grounding technique????

In terms of church im not really sure to be honest as im not sure what i believe. No offense. I was always forced to go to church when i was younger to so its for an uncomfortbale issue if that makes sense.

Believe me im not a home bound type of person and feel im living a life that is not me. Im trapped inside my own body even though im not suffering the abuse anymore. I feel so sad all the time. Wish my legs and eyes could work with me and then at least i could be more practical and do stuff to help my self :-(((

My blindness has occured 210 times today and i havent had any feeling in my legs for 6 hours now.

But i must say its been really nice chatting to you.

I dont have skype but have facetime but equally could easily set up a skype account.

:-)))

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.