Been on 80 mg of omeprazole for last 5 yrs, 40 mg for 20 before that. Quit cold turkey and am miser

Posted , 5 users are following.

80mg for 5 yrs 40 mg per day for 20 before that. Went off cold turkey and I'm miserable but don't want alzheimer's and all the other stuff that goes along with this drug. I need help...please. natural if possible.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Why were yu on such a high dose of omeprazole for so long?

Were you being monitored by a doctor? Discuss with him about the need for your PPI.

If you need it, you shouldn't come off it.

Don't listen to the scare stories as they re reported in the sensationalist press. Take a look at the actual research findings. The findings regarding dementia were, like many of the other scare stories (eg myocardial infarction, chronic kidney disease, and even cancer) are actually correlatio rather than causation.

The demnetia findings, for instance, lokked at some patients over 75 in Germany and found out of those with dementia, more were taking PPIs than those without dementia. It did not prove PPIs caused dementia!

There has been so much rubbish talked about these drugs which are literally lifesavers! Visit the www BarrettsWessex org uk website and find the "PPI dangers" page under Treatment/drugs to read the facts to make your own decision.

There have been many research papers that indicaate PPIs probaably protect against developing cancer.

• Posted

Thank you so much for your comments. The reason I have been on such a high dose isred because I spent a good part of my early 20's as a bulimic. I know my valve is shot and my reflux is horrendous. I've been tested and don't have h pylori either. I used to take 20 mg 2x a day but was still waking up with a mouth full of burning acid, thus the switch to 40 2x daily. I got so sca red about the alzheimer's thing I went cold turkey and now I'm so miserable, plus we just moved so I don't know where I hid my script from myself! Just trying to make it night by night.
    • Posted

I suggest you attempt to manage the reflux part of acid reflux with the lifestyle changes; Lose weight if necessary, avoid tight clothes, do not overfill the stomach: eat little and often, leave at least 3 hours between last meal and bed and raise the bedhead by 6 to 8 inches on blocks.

Then get some Gaviscon liquid if possible to take when you have a flare up.

Cut back on the omeprazole to 40mg a day if possible and don't be put off by the scare stories.

Your reflux is due to a malfunctioning lower oesophageal sphincter. Usually bulimia is likely to result in oesophagitis which will should slowly heal if it's not being attacked by acid. Usually a few weeks on PPI would be expected to manage that.

But definitely discuss with a doctor; PPIs shouldn't be used for moe than a few weeks without a doctor monitoring its usage.

• Posted

That is a high dose alright.  Too high.  I am almost off totally.  I decided to try a week taking 1/4 of the granules out, then one week with 1/2 out, then a week with 3/4 out, and now am on my week of 1/8th of the granules.  I have needed no other antacids, sleeping good, and also, I have cut out bread, potatoes, pasta and sugar.  I am doing much better than I thought I would.  But remember, weaning off gradually is best.  I never had any luck doing it cold turkey.
    • Posted

Thank you for the input, Julie.  I haven't found anyone yet that was on the kind of dose I was!  My problem is that I most definitely need a valve replacement and I know I can do alot with diet and getting off the drugs, my stomach will still create acid and unless I can sleep standing up, up my esophogus it comes sad.  I was just really disappointed and disgusted that for the last 25 years I have been allowed to be on a drug that has so many bad side effects and that you are really only supposed to take for 2 week intervals.  Thank you on how you weaned off, I think that will be of great help.  For the 5 days that I was off cold turkey i experienced everything from splitting headaches, uncontrollable crying, terrible stomach pain and the topper...diarrhea!  Yay me!  Now that I have another script to work with I will be much more careful and mindful of letting my body know what I'm doing and come off slowly.  Thanks again.
    • Posted

I’ve chatted with a person which still is on PPI 40mg daily for 19 years now. He switches two 80 mg daily when needed. He has had no side effects (started with PPI at 13 because of achalasia which caused Barrett’s). I' m on PPI as well on and off. I switch to ranitidine sometimes. Had no side effects. The problem is when the anxiety starts (also because of stories I read and I read too much) then "side effects" start to kick in. 

Also I've read dozens of forums and thousands of post in the last 4 years. I can say that less than 20% of patients have some kind of side effects because of the drug. Also you have to account those who are older than 60+, which report side effects but it doesn't mean that this sides are caused due to PPI's. A pharmacologist said to me recently that the problem is the interaction of the PPI with another drugs. If you take only PPI without too many other drugs, you should not have any noticeable sides.

May I ask what kind of sides (if you had any) did you experience during those 25 years apart from anxiety sides if you could put that apart

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.