Two Weeks and No Side Effects

Posted , 7 users are following.

I am following up on my starting to take Amlodipine two weeks ago two.  BP at my Cardiologist appointment yesterday was 101/60!!!  I was able to drop taking the nighttime Metoprolol altogether! Yay.  I cannot tell y'all how much better I feel on Amlodipine than the six years on Losartan. 

I have absolutely no side effects at all.  My energy is soaring.  I pop out of bed at 5:30a and am out walking by 6:00a.  Of course I still have aches and pains.....I'm a 58 year old female.  Expected!!! 

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I took Amlopidine for several years (AMLOC 5) and never had any bad side effects.
    • Posted

Thank you!  I am so happy that there are success stories!  I feel great!
  • Posted

As I have posted quite a number of time I have been on them for 16 years without a problem.  Male 75
    • Posted

Oh, I am so sorry I must have missed your posts while perusing the discussions.  I am so happy to hear another success story! I too feel wonderful!
  • Posted

I wish you luck.  I took 5 mg for several years and did very well on it, but when my dosage was increased to 10 mg, all hell broke loose.  As a result I have Afib for life and a pacemaker.
    • Posted

My goodness cpwood!  That is terrible.  Thank you for the best of luck and I hope you are maintaining well with your lifestyle changes.  sad

• Posted

Your results are interesting.  I have been on Losaartan for a couple years with decent results and the added amlodipine nearly killed me.
    • Posted

Yah, crazy isn't it?  I am so glad you got off of it.  These forums are really difficult to do comparisons on tho.  So many variables.  Why do side effects afflict some and not others?  Why do some people who smoke their entire lives never get a cancer and those that don't do? 

I also am keeping close watch on my body.  For the past six months I have become very active and average 15-17 thousand steps per day...dropped a few pounds and have had my thyroid med lowered twice.  I just think my bp med, which happened to be Losartan, also needed to be lowered.  This Amiodipine is apparently more in line with what my body needs and the hypertension that I have. 

These drug cocktails!!!  You just never know.  I was also taken off of my nighttime bp med, Metoprotol Succ Er 25mg.  So only three pills now.  My docs are so pleased as they have been after me for the past five years to eat better, exercise more and I'll feel better.  For a 58 year old female I can be pretty stupid at times.....of course they were right!!!!!!

I hope you are feeling better and have your meds adjusted to your needs.

• Posted

Losartan, Irbesartan and others of the ARB family are excellent

medicines, are very effective in reducing blood pressure and

usually have no serious side effects.

• Posted

After my issues with Amlodipine I was switched to Losartan and am doing well so far, actually better control than on Amlodipine.  I wish I'd been on that from the beginning.  I am also on Ziac (Bisoprolol / HCTZ) and have been for many years with no apparent side effects.
  • Posted

I am so glad you have no side effects on Amlodipine.  My best friend is on the same and had zero issues.  I had horrible side effects and had to stop after 6 days.  Started on Losartan two days ago and have gone from 178/102 to 138/98 in just over 48 hours with no side effects.  If I have not had side effects with Losartan, should I expect them still? I would think I would be having them already but maybe it's because I am only on 25mg's.  What do you think?  Did your side effects from the Losartan start immediately?  Glad the Am worked for you.wink
    • Posted

Patty, so sorry for the delay.....

I was on Losartan for 6 years before I began having issues with my BP.  Not really sure it was even the Losartan.....sometimes the body just changes ya know?  I was on Losartan 50 mg. 

It's been 8 weeks now on the Amlodipine and still doing fine.  My GP says that Amlodipine is their go to bp med for people over 50 because it is so mild on the body.  Everyone's body chemistry is different and it also depends a lot on your personal drug cocktail that you are taking.  I am 58, so maybe older peeps do better with it???? 

• Posted

I am a 57 year old woman and when I first started Amlodipine I liked it also. I also jumped out of bed and was able to get a lot of work done. Overall I felt great and it also helped with my Adhd or whatever I have. My bp went from 160/92 to normal, which was great. Then after 4 months I am feeling very low, lethargic, no energy, woozy, legs and arms tingly, sore legs and the worst thing is this depression. It seemed like moods were ok for a few days and then drastically bottomed out. I was more depressef than I had been in years. I have a history of depression anyway. I took myself off of the Amlodipine 3 days ago. I still feel weak. We will see how I feel in time. I called the doctor.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.