i have just been diagnosed with OLP what should I expect?

Posted , 5 users are following.

i have been lucky enough to have enjoyed good health for most of my life but over the last 3/4 years it all seems to be going to hell in a handcart!!! I appreciate that things start failing as you age but I am convinced that there is likely to be a single underlying cause for most of the recent health changes.

I was diagnosed as T2 diabetic 3 yrs ago (non insulin dependent) but also within the same period - calcium deficient (DEXA scans show a predisposition to Osteoporosis but not there yet) recurring Vit D deficiency and now this - which coincidentally developed after being prescribed Metformin 2 weeks ago.

I have tried to research this on google but now feel even more confused - and have more questions than answers

1. is it curable?

2. is it possible that it is related to my other health conditions or medication?

3. currently only on the inside of my cheeks but will this get worse?

4. is this likely to develop into more serious condition or elsewhere on my body?

5. if this is an autoimmune related condition is it likely that other conditions may occur?

6. is there anything i can do to contain or treat this?

I will probably have more questions  but for the moment any help appreciated

thank you eek

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi pat

Sorry you have this condition it isn't very nice at all, how old are you? I'm almost 58 and was diagnosed with this about 15 years ago I remember around that same time I was diagnosed with abnormal cells after a cervical smear... Although at this time I had no symptoms at all with olp it was my dentist that found it but the last few years I know Iv got it because I can't eat any spice or acidic foods.... So I think the smear test and this olp are related, but there are different kinds and causes... Try and keep stress free although it isn't always easy and keep away from spicy foods.. Hope this helps pat Xx

• Posted

Thanks Karen I have just turned 61 and it was picked up by my hygienist last week and confirmed by my dentist yesterday - so far i am just aware of roughness inside my cheeks and a bit more sensitive to hot food/drink - so I am guessing from you experience this is likely to get worse with spicy or acidic foods sad I love curry!!!

Has your OLP remained just in your mouth or have you had any occurrence anywhere else?

I guess I will just take it a day at a time x

i will just take it one day at a time

• Posted

Sometimes I'm not sure pat just find the doctors dont talk about it much when I ask anything.. Have you ever had trouble with smear test X
  • Posted

What kind of pain do you experience inside your mouth? Do you have any white patches? Did you have a biopsy?

• Posted

Hi Cookie - currently no pain but a bit more senistive to heat - so just a feeling of roughness inside my cheeks and a white spidery pattern on each side.I am assuming that this may get deteriorate??

Picked up by my hygienist last week and confirmed by my dentist yesterday - no biopsy but I see my dentist regularly so they are going to 'keep an eye on it'

• Posted

Hi. I have had Erosive Lichen Planus for 6 years. It is a bit more aggressive than OLP, so my experiences may differ a bit. Since they are essentially the same disease though, I thought I would share. No it is not curable. It is managable. No one knows what really causes it or what other things may be related.(not enough researce done) I was originally experienceing oral lesions (they were erosive in nature) so a biopsy was done to make difinitive diagnosis. In my case it has spread to scalp (severe), ears, vagina, perianal and has been persistant in the mouth. Recently I have had very few lesions on the legs and arms. It is a concern for progression if longterm to a cancer of the oral mucosa, stay under a dermatologist care as well as your dentist.There are lots of treatments for OLP, your Dermatologist will help you to decide what is best. My dentist was very helpful with "magic Mouthwash" but really you need to go to the Dermatologist for comprhensive care.

Hopefully this is of some help for you.

Lisa

• Posted

Hi 

how old are you good4nurse... I am 58 and started with this about 14 years ago same time I had trouble with a smear test but only the last couple of years really bothering me but I don't find the doctors much help with this... Have you ever had a problem with a cervical smear x

• Posted

Hi Karen. I am 50. I had a couple of off pap smears prior to a hysterectomy, I also had several years of some sores that nobody could identify and all test for the usual suspects were negative. We suspect now that I was probably having ELP issues then. It has been in some research papers I have read that there may be a link between HPV and LP.

• Posted

thank you for this - I am waiting for an appointment with a dermatologist so hopefully will get a bit more info and advise then -  eek

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.