Skin pigmentation

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi

I am in the process of coming off large doses of levothyroxine from 150 and now down to 37.5 (I was told I may have been misdiagnosed with hypothyroidism many years ago).

I've started to notice small spots and patches of my skin thay have turned darker or red. Has anyone else experienced this? I wondered whether this could be related to low levels. The patches are on the torso area

I had my levels tested and they were classed as normal, but I still feel pretty terrible and still adjusting to the latest dose.

Any advice would be great

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hello Caz:

Some red or brown spots can be from capillaries under the skin.   The vessels shine through sometimes. Some people have them on the lower back a lot.

If your skin is very dry, it can turn reddish and you should moisturize it after a bath.  If you develop a rash it itches or spreads see a doctor.

Ecezema is a condition that could cause redness and they have meds for it.  I have some redness on my chin and it comes and goes. 

Lastly is good diet & vitamins in our bodies.  We need them to be good also. Since our thyroid hormones help our skin, hopefully your T3 and T4 levels are okay.

I hope this helps,

Shelly

• Posted

Hi shelly thanks for that. My skin isn't that dry or itchy, these patches just came out of the blue.

I was wondering whether it was linked to hormones in some way. I'll wait a few weeks and get it checked out.

Thanks for the info x

• Posted

2 months before I was having the same scars on my neck. I was so worried. I asked my friend who is a doctor and she told me about a skin cream Cysteamine. I used it just for 3 weeks and all my scars were gone. I suggest you should try it. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.