Has my growth been stunted?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've took antidepressants and SSRIs for over 6 years, just recently stopped them. I have some anxiety over the way I look, I don't think I look like someone of my age. I won't give away my age just yet as I would like to get a honest answer to how old I look. The main thing is I've taken medication for many years during my development.

I've noticed my hands are roughly the size of a woman's and actually smaller than some women who are shorter than me. I also have very thin wrists, weak muscles, a somewhat arched back and I'm also 2 inches off my Dad's height. I think my face looks a bit immature as well, but I would like someone else's opinion on whether the medication I've been on has indeed stunted my development.

So how old do you think I look.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

XXY guys often look younger than their age as they have insufficient testosterone, even thought they may well ahve been taking anti depressants before they were diagnosed and after?   

I understand for anti depressants to wortk they ahve to build up to a level in ones body, conversely for them to stop having their effect time has to pass when they're not being taken befroe you'll notice not having them.  Did you stop your medication on medical advice?

I've never heard of anti depressants stunting a persons growth, and if there is information out there about that, I'd like to know what mechanism the medication usues to cause it.

As you have concerns as to how old you look, maybe seeing  your local doctor would be a good place to start?  Not aging appropropriately can be a symptom of much more serious problems?  

• Posted

You don't look very young to me, although judging from just one picture isn't easy. I would say that you could be anywhere between 15 and 30! I do hope that you have stopped your medication under medical advice, as your concern with body image suggests that you may still have some issues.  I have never heard of anti-depressant medication stunting growth.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.