How long does it take for Coeliac symptoms to calm down after gluten free diet?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone

So I have just been diagnosed with Coeliac Disease by the genetic blood test. I am 22 and have always been told I had IBS since I was about 16. Basically I get diarreah and cramps everyday mostly in the morning but it really affect my quality of life. I have been taking a couple of Imodium everyday which really calms it down even if I eat gluten and wheat! So I am now starting a gluten/wheat free diet but still using the Imodium for now. Can anyone advise how long it will take for my symptoms to calm down? Also does anyone else use Immodium for Coeliac Disease? Ive done the diet for a week now and still no improvement and starting to lose hope and think maybe they have misdiagnoses me, can any hope help? Feeling a bit lost!

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ali,

Well.....it's good that you have been diagnosed(so at least you know what is going on) but the bad news is.....it takes time.

I have been strictly gluten free for over 2 years and although I feel loads better I still have dietary issues. I cannot tolerate lactose and mainly stick to a FODMAP diet. I am frquently constipated and take movecol daily but I am loads better. It is worth it

It does take time, you have to be very careful to NEVER eat any gluten at all but each and every day your gut is healing and you will gradually feel better.

Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Ali, my celiac is a rare form.  Yes, there are degrees and aborations within the disease.  On average it takes 18-months to get a handle on an appropriate diet and feeling the results of healing.  I know that seems like a terribly long time but remember each day that passes you are healing and heading in the right direction to enjoy a [somewhat] normalized life. Unfortunately, many if not most doctors are not well informed about out disease. Gluten is not the only thing many celiac sufferers can be affected by. Coffee, oatmeal, many so-called gluten free foods can also have an adverse affect. The government allows up to 20ppm gluten in foods while still calling it gluten free. It's becomes hit and miss for those 18-months as you determine by trial and error, sickness and health, what your body will tolerate.  KEEP A FOOD JOURNAL!!! This simple task, as anoying as it is, will save you a great deal of frustration. Write how you feel on each day also.  Many of us are also impacted by food listed in the FODMAP diet for people with IBS. Check your medications, your perfumes and make up, soaps and mouthwash products.  These too lead to contamination if you are not careful.  YES, IT IS A HORRIBLE DISEASE - HOWEVER, YES, WE ARE OVERCOMERS WHO STICK TOGETHER AND SUPPORT ONE ANOTHER.  Bundles of hugs, Laurie

• Posted

Thank you for your kind support Laurie! It means a lot X
  • Posted

Hi Ali,

Unfortunately, it does take at least 6 months for all of the gluten to be removed from your intestines and for them to begin to heal from all the damage that has been done from your previous consumption of gluten. I encourage you to just stick with your gluten free diet and ensure you read up about possible forms of contamination to your gluten free food that you may not be aware of. Best of luck

• Posted

Thanks Hannah! I am starting to feel better slowly which is great smile x

• Posted

I'm in the same boat!!! Been gluten free for 9 days now and I feel exactly the same as I have been for months. I wish the nightmare would end, I thought after my biopsy and going gluten free I'd feel at least abit better.

• Posted

Hi Dannie I've been doing gluten free for about 3 months properly now and I have more good days than bad days and slowly getting my life back so please don't lose hope! I know how hard it is but I promise you you will feel better gradually, just make sure there is no risk of cross contamination when eating, I have made this mistake lots of times! X

• Posted

Hi ali3232

Thank you for replying! I hope your right, I'm sick of being sick! I do worry about cross contamination, but I'm trying to be very clean. Should I get different pans etc? Iv not seen a dietitian yet so I haven't be able to ask anyone any questions. Just been left to it x

• Posted

Hi Dannie, I only recently had my first dietician appointment and they told me to get a separate toaster/butter/chopping board/knives and that's it in case of crumbs! She also told me not to eat any kind of oats for the first 6 months xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.