Can you get control over mania?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I feel myself becoming more manic everyday. I have so many thoughts and ideas racing in my head but luckily I have been able to resist acting on them. I haven't been able to control my behavior though. My mood swings are severe and extremely unpredictable and I have made a lot of bad decisions lately. I am so afraid I'm going to lose complete control and act on my thoughts and ideas which would be catastrophic. The fear has caused multiple episodes of panic attacks. Does any one know of ways to gain control again?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi there

You are descibing me to the T!!! I have been manic since April this year. Changed meds about 4 times, been in hospital last week and found out I was 5 months pregnant. A blessing in disguise but does not help my manic stage at this moment. If you find a way to make it better please let me know because it is exhausting!!!! Can't sleep, murderious moods and behaviour and speak so fast I have to catch my breath.

On ablify now, so hope this will help.

I hope you feel better soon and rememeber you are not alone.

• Posted

Sounds like an emergency.  If you can't see your doctor immediately, go to the ER.  They have drugs that will bring you down and stable.  It worked for me.  You might get a little zombified at first, but it's worth it; and afterwards your meds will be adjusted and you'll be as right as rain before you know it.  Good luck.
    • Posted

yes, me too Doug. i do not take these AP drugs long, but i will take them for 2-3 days to get out of that mania. to anyone else, make sure that you can get off of them!!!!     unlesss of course you are hearing voices etc. for me, i can take 800 mg of depakote for about 2 days and it will almost fend off an oncoming mania. which i really want to do. seems like when i was younger, the mania seemed king of fun........ until it didn't!   At middle age it is very irritating and stressful. a whole different game.

• Posted

Hi,

I agree with Doug, it's sounds like time for a medical intervention - if you catch things sooner you may not require "heavy duty" drugs, just a few days to come down.  I can totally relate to your description of mania, good for you to recognize that things are getting out of control.

I sent you a private message - something that you might find helpful once you are stablized.  The very best to you.

• Posted

SNAP. Hi, Lostcontrol. Same but wores, I dont keep control. Well done you for being able to. All I can say is, come here often, I will be as I have no other support. We can help each other as we understand. My love and good thoughts are with you, Marish X

PS, on my last post, I mentioned that I want the Tshirt, I AM BIPOLAR. I did it to raise a laugh, But I really do want one now, a Google serach shows plenty and the one I want says I AM BIPOLAR ITS AWESOME. amd yes, it is, now. Have to hide my credirt cards tomight as only sleepinng 2.5 hours, and will ofrer 2 in every colour otherwise. Thts normal manic behaviour.

See ya. X

• Posted

Meds and therapy are the only way.

See a doctor immediately.  Trust me, I know.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.