I Took My First Atorvastatin Dose (40mg), Can I Stop?

Posted , 11 users are following.

I was hesitant about taking it. My doctor mentioned that I was at an 11% risk of heart attack or stroke, therefore, he prescribed this Statin. I just finished reading about it, and side effects AFTER I took the dose tonight. I want to stop it and just don't take it. 

I am already making a difference in diet and exercise. I would rather do something like vitamins or herbs. My glucose levels were at 9.2 last March. I have since adjusted my diet and lost a little over 10 pounds. So I think that I could lower the cholesterol by increasing my exercise and diet.

Has anyone just stopped their statin? Was there an adverse effect?

I'd rather do it now before building it up in my system (since I only took one dose so far). 

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I stopped mine after a year,i dont think you have to wean off a statin,especially after one time.Xx
  • Posted

Rember 11% risk of have the stroke heart attack means 89% not having the Stoke or heart attack. A change in diet and exercise will bring down your blood sugar levels and your cholesterol levels. I suggest go back to your doc explain your worries and what you intend to do about them. You taking control is the best way forward, if after your changes show little or no result then have discussions with your Dr. Your chances of reducing blood sugar and cholesterol will greatly benefit bringing your weight down and exercise lots of it. If u take a car to the shops park further away and walk further, take the steps not the lift. It all helps.

keep your Dr on your side this will be the key.

• Posted

Just what I was about to point out paul - 89% chance of NOT having a stroke or heart attack is pretty good odds.  I am personally of the opinion that 11% risk is not sufficiently high to warrant prescribing statins which are well documented to cause major side effect and damage.  Exercise is the biggest single factor in reducing cholesterol by non pharmaceutical means.  Diet is of course important but not as critical as keeping the body organs fit and not smoking.  My cholesterol was abnormally high at a level of 9.  However my BP was 'normal' and so was my blood sugar and my BMI too, so diet wasn't the cause, I have familial (hereditary) high cholesterol.  When I exercise regularly it falls, even if only slightly.  Those who are overweight already have a fatty liver, taking statins which do significantly affect liver enzymes has to be very dangerous.  You are correct about keeping your doctor on side - they are forced by N.I.C.E prescribing practice to give out statins like sweeties but will often listen to reason if you can convince them you are taking real steps to help reduce your cholesterol by other means. 

Stopping taking them has no adverse issues other than cholesterol level, it doesn't need a 'weaning off' period.

Do be cautious about eating so called cholesterol lowering foods, they reduce ALL cholesterol, both good and bad and not just LDL.  Maintaining a high HDL level is essential for the body. Have a look into ways of increasing the good cholesterol - that will help reduce the LDL too.

• Posted

Hi Lisa. Don't worry you can just stop. I was in the same situation as you. I took one and then discovered all the really bad side effects. Just let your GP know that you do not want to take them because of risks/severe side effects. it IS your choice and no one can force you Lisa. Tell your GP that you are going the dietary way. Benecol or any plant stenol does work and will reduce cholesterol. If you get a chance look up Statin Nation on Youtube.. it's a real eye opener!
    • Posted

Thanks, Pat, I will look that up. Thanks for your suggestion!
    • Posted

I don't believe that you can get side effects from one tablet. It takes time to build up in your body.

I started/stopped several times before stopping for good. It took several weeks for me to get muscle pains each time and as many to get rid of them.

If one statin does not work there are many to try.

• Posted

I was taking 80mg of Artovastatin for approx 8 months before deciding to stop taking. I didn`t suffer any withdrawl symptoms that I noticed, and can honestly say I feel better without it due to all the side effects I suffered while taking it. Ultimately the choice is yours, but trying an alternative route is always a positive option. Either way, good luck and good health.
  • Posted

Hi Lisa, I have been taking atoravastatin 10 mg for the past 3 years and have not had any noticeable side effects apart from usual pain and aches. My cholesterol was 8 bordering on 9 and it was familial hypercholesteromia - meaning its inherited and the liver is producing more...i tried to stop for 3 months depending on the food control and exercise but it went up to 8 with no change at all - the pain and aches were there too!! so it was not statin related.

You didnt mention your cholesterol level and whether your parents had this.  I dont think that glucose levels and cholesterol has any relations. My sugar is normal.  try to have healthy lifestyle for couple of months and check again if it has reduced.  6 is a good figure.

all the best

Naina

• Posted

I was on various statins for about 10 years, the last two on Atorvastatin until I had muscle pain, muscle wasting and trouble walking. This was diagnosed as peripheral neuropathy. As there is a connection between my condition and statins I've given them up but too late to make a difference to me.
    • Posted

How long have you been off a statins? Took 3 years for me to get rid of symptoms.
    • Posted

Been off for 3 years since I was diagnosed with PN.
    • Posted

Have your symptoms gotton any better. I honestly thought mine would never go away.
    • Posted

I had terrible issues whilst on statins and was only on them a short while before finding out from a doctor in A&E that it was statins causing the problems, then I just ditched them instantly.  This was 5 years ago and some of the most severe symptoms eased instantly but I continued to suffer from muscle myalgia and eventually was diagnosed as having Fibromyalgia - although I'm not convinced it's FMS I still believe the damage the statins caused is permanent.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.