Fused Hip

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi Everyone, as I have said earlier I have had my fused hip for 64 years & now depend on a mobility scooter I do suffer with backache everyday & I have difficulty with simple everyday tasks (ie  putting my socks on I use a sock aid, I also use a walking stick, I cannot walk far & have difficulty sitting at some table especially the ones with a centre leg

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello David  I also have had a fused hip since I was 16 and I am now 65.  I also have difficulty with the tasks you mention.  I tried to have a hip replacement in 2008 but ended up with another fusion.  This time the fusion is cracked across the leg.  I am in pain  and have to decide whether to have another replacemen or else the doctor wants to plate and screw the fusion sight to strengthen it.  I don't like either of these options.  My biggest difficulty is using toilets in people's houses.  They are too low and make it difficult to get down and hard to het up.  I wish I had some idea what to do.  I totally get what your life has been like.  Good luck to you.
    • Posted

Hi, Milvain

?Sorry to hear the hip replacement did not go to well, which ever option you choose I hope it goes well, I have been offered a hip replacement, I was told that I would only have 5% movement which did not seem worth it with what I would have to go through, I have had the fusion over 60 years. Like yourself I have trouble on low toilets & climbing the stairs to get to the loo, also going out for a meal I have problems with tables that have a centre leg. I hope things go well for you,having a fused hip I do know what you are going & getting older does not help I am now 70

?Look after yourself & good luck with what ever you decide

• Posted

Hi David, I have posted before. I had a fused hip at 18. Developed. Severe back ache when I reached 60, persevered with all remedies to no avail until I was 67. Had the fusion removed and replaced with a replacement hip. Fantastic all pain disappeared and freedom to move, sit, cycle. Unfortunately three years later severe pain in leg due to the damage to the nerves in my spine due to the many years of having the fusion, currently taking tablets for the nerves with fingers crossed but overall I feel very liberated.
    • Posted

Hi, Ian

​ I have been offered to have the fusion removed,but was told that I would only have about 5% of movement, which I did not think it was worth going through especially at my time of life I have had the fusion over 60 years,so at least I know were I stand with it,sorry to hear your pain as returned, you seem to be doing ok hope it keeps going well

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.