Sjogrens

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello everybody,

For about 2-3 months I've had a dry mouth. I still got some saliva, but I still feel thirst even after I keep drinking water. I've got no dry eyes or anything. TMI bit I have some vaginal dryness, but I also have another thing going on with that so idk if sjogrens would be doing that or the other thing. Last summer I got my Doctor tested me for ANAs and it came back positive. But like. Really low positive. Like in my test it said anything below a 1:40 is normal and I literally had a 1:40. So it was super low. I have Crohn's and I read that remicade can cause that so I asked my gastro and she said that I could see a rheumatologist, but she didn't really think anything was wrong because it was low. So about 7 months laster I developed dry mouth. After awhile I kind of got used to it and forgot about it. I recently got a whole bunch of tests that could cause dry mouth including ANAs and that came back negative. I'm gonna make an Appt with an ENT. Does this sound like sjogrens. I don't know what to do. sad

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Cassie

Don't worry about TMI - in this forum most of us experience vaginal dryness and occasionally one of us mentions it. (I also have endometriosis and we are very frank about all things vaginal, uteran, sex-related-to-disease there)

Am not a doc so I can't say what's causing your dryness. Many folks with mouth dryness find their mouths drier after drinking lots of water. Some find it better to just sip ; I find that too annoying but I still manage to get in about 48 oz of liquid daily. Cooler water is better than Stateside room temp where that so often means 70 or 80°F. Or you can add just a small amount of juice or other soft drink to your water to keep it more moisturizing.

No matter the cause of oral dryness, it's vital that you treat it as if you had Sjogren's because dry mouth promotes tooth decay and isn't too great for the gums, either. Find a toothpaste and mouthwash specifically for dry mouth. Don't rinse your mouth with water between brushing and the special rinse, then try not to eat or drink anything for half an hour. There are also mouth sprays and gels but you may not need those.

Sugar-free gum and hard candies also help with dry mouth.

Take care

• Posted

My blood test was boarderline, buy symptoms were classic and dr. Immediately put me on plaqinel, which has helped a great deal.  Dentist gave me a gel for my mouth however it was $25 for a small tube, but I found it on Amazon much cheaper. You may want to ask your dentist for suggestions. 
    • Posted

The gel I got on the Internet is called GC Dry Mouth by GC Corp.  It's ok, I just use it at night.  Don't know of anything that works fantastically, but it seems to help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.