Sick Of Suffering Anal Itch!

Posted , 15 users are following.

I have been suffering from anal itch for 1 yr 8 months! I feel like I have tried everything! When it first started I got a colonoscopy and they found 3 internal hemorrhoids I also had an external one at the time. I thought my external one was what was causing it so I got it surgically removed and the problem continued. The whole time I was itchy and having crawling sensations on and off so my doctor went ahead and treated for pinworms twice also did not help. Then I had 3 stool tests to test for parasites they were all negative. I still wasn't convinced and treated myself. Anyhow I have done all that! I've tried hydrocortisone cream, Suppositories, recti care and other meds. But I am sick of this and ready to get rid of this as it is taking over my life! Any suggestions on what helped you?

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi hayann. oh how i  do so sympathise with you hear, like you been suffering for years, nothing works does it, i would very much like to know also if anyone has managed to find a cure. For some resaon it starts up again when i lay down to, no sign of worms though. The only time it diminished slightly was when i cut out sugar from my diet. Could be a fungal infection? I had a swab taken though it came but clear of that as well. Oh what to do a!
    • Posted

That's one thing I tried as well! I did not cut out all sugar but I did cut out caffenine and that did seem to help quite a bit but other than that still itchy! I am now pregnant with my second and I don't want to have to deal with this my whole pregnancy! With my first pregnacy this hadn't started yet so I really enjoyed that pregnancy!
    • Posted

Please see my reply to hayann14. I found a cure after 15 years. Mine also only came at night,
    • Posted

Please try teramera oil. My itching has virtually subsided and I had itching most of the night for around 3 years xx
  • Edited

This condition seems to have as many possible causes as it does ways to get relief. Cure? A lot of the people on the forum say they have, but I would say control is a better word. My system of control can be found in my various posts on the forum. It has worked for me for four years now but others have found relief in various ways. You have come to the right place. Some where on the forum you should find a solution that fits you. My only advice would be to start with the simple easy to do stuff first. I have found that once you get it under control it is relatively easy to keep under control.
    • Posted

Thank you I really appreciate it! I have high hopes that I will find a way ! I hope anyone else with this problem does as well!
    • Edited

Please see a good- I repeat good- dermatologist. I suffered for over 15 years. My third dermatologist found the cause, a nickel allergy, found in many of the foods we eat. She did a skin patch test. Not to be confused with allergy scratch testing done by an allergy Doctor.

As she said, what goes in must come out. Our skin in that area is very tender and can get irritated very easily. The skin can become allergic there just as it can anywhere else on the body. She said what you eat can still be in your stool. I had itching no where else, which is why I was surprised to find it was an allergy. This doctor studied puritis of the anal area extensively to find most was caused by an allergy. I have avoided nickel and the itching is gone. Believe me I tried every cream, natural remedy, wipe, lotion - changed to cotton only. I bought every itch, rash, fungal, cream on the market before I finally saw this doctor. She was doctor number five by the way. I saw four other doctors before her and none- I repeat none helped me find the cause. One dermatologist (the first one I saw) did do a biopsie, which showed dermatitis. She prescribed steroid creams which should not be used long term, and is not a cure. I did find fish oil supplements worked for me, right before I got the patch tested I started taking them and got good relief. They must deposit on the skin and protect the area, which in turn keeps the thing your allergic to from sticking to the skin. I don't know but it worked. Before all this I itched so bad - most always at night. I cried it became so bad. My skin cracked, it was horrible and now I am symptom free! Good luck. It is an embarrassing situation, trust me, it was not easy but in the end worth it.

• Posted

Thank you so much you have no idea how much I appreciate your comment! I have a dermatologist appointment scheduled for August 30th! It seems like forever away but if they can figure out what is causing this it will be worth it! I just recently found out that I am pregnant so I worry that it will cause some limitations as to what they can and can't do for me. But I will definitely make sure to ask them about doing the skin patch testing. If they aren't able to do it while I am pregnant I will be sure to make an appointment after I have the baby! I will do anything to try and overcome this awful problem!
    • Posted

Best of luck! Don't give up and track what you are putting on your body as well. Many hair and skin care products, laundry soaps, even hair dyes contain chemicals that may cause us to develop skin allergies. I also tested positive for polypropylene glycol which was found in my hair products. Now I know why my head always itched. Funny thing is I never developed a rash anywhere on my body. The patch testing takes a few days but is well worth the effort.
    • Posted

Thank you! Since you did your patch test and cut out foods with nickel did your itching stop or did it just become easier to control it?
    • Posted

It stopped completely! It's like I have a new life! I do have to watch my diet.
    • Posted

I don't mind watching my diet for the rest of my life as long as that helps me! You have been a great help and I really do appreciate your responses. I am happy for you and I hope they are able to figure something out for me as well.
  • Edited

Hi guys, I know this is an old post but I'm hoping my answer could help out someone else who's suffered the same problem as I have. I've done my own research and discovered what my two problems were. First, I've always had a gluten intolerance but since becoming pregnant it has worsened to the point that I've had to be extra cautious of checking food labels and asking at restaurants about food prep and ingredients. I even developed a mild lactose intolerance as well that I previously did not have. The itching started off the hour or two following a meal with any gluten or lactose in it. It then continued (on-and-off) until all this food was excreted from my body, especially a few hours before a bowel movement, as well as during and after. It felt like I was being stabbed in and around my anus with needles. Very painful. Here is where the problem started. After eating the aforementioned problem foods, the 'itch-scratch' cycle began. The initial itch came from the irritating foods. I scratched, causing tiny micro tears and inflammation. After the foods had been eliminated HOWEVER, the itch subsided and then returned a day or two later (a subtly different kind of itch though - more like an annoying mosquito bite type of itch). This was due to the damage I'd caused my skin (albeit micro damage - unseen to the naked eye). My body had started the healing process during this 24 hrs or so and the healing process had caused the return of the itch. Without going on in detail about it - the body releases histamines during that healing process. This is what was turning a 2-3 day problem into a constant weeks to months kinda problem! I eventually figured it out on my own and took an anti-histamine tablet to find the itching had GONE within half an hour of taking the tablet. The take-away from my experience is that yes, sometimes the itch is caused by a food intolerance or a soap sensitivity.....but whatever the root cause of your problem is - a persistent, chronic itch is usually the result of the problem ALONG with the 'itch-scratch' cycle of histamines released by your body that follow it. So try an elimination diet by only eating basics to start with, use only warm water for washing, try wearing no underwear, washing with water after every bowel movement and even using talcum powder afterwards too (I tried all these things) to find out the root cause of the problem, but for goodness sake take an anti-histamine tablet everyday until you find out what stops the itching or else you'll be stuck in a perpetual cycle of histamine release and the itch will never let up. Something the doctors don't tell you unfortunately.

• Posted

Thanks for sharing this. I've been experiencing the same painful itch without finding the root cause for years, and it's only recently that I started looking into celiac disease ie gluten intolerance. I did an ancestry DNA test which also had a medical part, and coincidentally the report came back with "slight genetic risk for celiac". The past few weeks I attempted to remove gluten, which is a learning process. No oatmeal. No beer. Watching out for sauces, etc. I also noticed that eating lots of cheese worsened symptoms, so I cut out the dairy as well. Things seemed to get better. Then I reintroduced gluten a bit with couscous, and also had alcoholic drinks, and the pain and itching came back in full force. It does seem in my case that alcohol is a trigger, or at least making things worse. I never considered anti-histamines to break the cycle. How are you doing now? Are you able to maintain a gluten-free and dairy diet and has the itch completely gone away? How long did you take anti-histamines to break the pattern?

• Posted

I had the same insights from my genetic test, but hadn't researched it yet. Was visiting my brother in Florida showing him my genetics our app and my potential for 'gluten intolerance.' He says, "Oh, itchy butt!" I had an immediate click. Eliminated gluten, no itchy butt. Had several docs check it out itchy butt past few years, creams, etc. even one claimed clogged gland and did surgery. For me, the gluten is a strong correlation. Definitely will be different for others, but the genetic insight worked for me.

• Posted

Well ive been diagnosed with gluten intolerance, sadly eliminating this from diet not helping much, body wise or anal wise. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.