Angina

Posted , 3 users are following.

Ok, so it's my Mum that's the patient and not me, but she's rubbish and never looks into things like this for herself.

She had her first angina attack last week, and after it was confirmed it wasn't an actual heart attack and she was ok to go home, they told her to go for a full MOT with her GP. Anyway I went with her, and they sent her for more blood tests. She's had a call from the Drs, they have her results and want to see here fairly urgently.

Does anyone know what they might want to tell her? I'm really worried :-/. Thank you in advance

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi, If who ever looked after her and confirmed it wasn't a heart attack is reassuring, perhaps the doctor wants to see your mum for a completely different matter picked up in the blood tests, Did your mother have to fast for this blood test or was it just a random blood test ?  I think the best thing is to make sure she turns up for that follow up doctors appointment and see if you can attend with her. If it was really /  seriously urgent they would of referred her straight to the emergency department.
  • Posted

They often (needlessly) drag you in to discuss test results, probably just a bit of inflammation, raised enzymes and proteins,, common for heart damage smile
    • Posted

Or if it was a fasting blood test they could of found a few things, I.E diabetes, high cholesterol, raised kidney functions, thyroid and liver function, the list goes on, Any raised enzymes during an angina attack they usually keep you in ED until they get to the bottom of it, if it is only slightly higher or lower than the ideal level they would access all that before discharging.

Iv'e had troponin rises indicating NSTEMI's and I have also had slight troponin rises, not enough to be diagnosed a definate NSTEMI, they have put the slightly raised levels down to kidney function, some of the ED doctors also like to do CKMB bloods as well just to see how that compares with the troponin, my old cardiologist always wanted both, troponin and CKMB.

• Posted

Ah, thank you! It was a fasting blood test. I'm hoping to go with her for the results, with any luck I will be able to. Thank you for the replies though, I appreciate it :-)
    • Posted

Fasting blood test can tell you lots of things , perhaps high cholesterol or diabetes picked up by the HbA1c ...... How long has you mother suffered from angina ?,  smile  I just read your comment again, it was her first attack, did a cardiologist diagnose it as angina ?  Well you will find out soon enough with the doctor wanting to see her with some urgency. hope all goes well for your mum....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.