Has Lanzoprazole caused you increased anxiety and depression?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi - I have been on Lansoprazole for some months now and am convinced it has made me much more anxious and is also adding to my depression (I have anxiety and depression anyway but do think the Lanzoprazole is hindering any improvement and has made things worse). I have to be in it for a stomach issue and have tried other brands and this is about the only one I can tolerate. I am also about to take anti depressants and will need to continue to protect my stomach. It is awful I really don't like taking it but can't see an alternative.

C

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

PPIs like lansoprazole are the best medication for reducing acid. Anxiety can increase this but it's unlikely the drugs will increase anxiety per se - it's more likely that would be raised by the propagated unfounded fears about possible side effects of the drug.
    • Posted

That happened to me. But I'm a strong person and somehow decrease my anxiety in a day or two...

• Posted

Ow r u getting on i have been o this acid treatment and am also convinced it causeing my depression to get worse.i have been given 2 different anti depressants to tske but think itscthe acid tablets also get numbness pins needles not a panic attack
  • Edited

I'm in my40's and I was on Prevacid for 2 years for hiatal hernia and my anxiety went through the roof. I was having weird heart beats and my joints ached like I was 70 years old. The anxiety is what made me stop taking it. The joint pain stopped in the first week. The weird heart palpitations stopped after 3 months and my anxiety finally settled down after 5 months. I have also taken Prilosec and nexium and they did the same things to me. The doctors tell you it's not the pills but it is. It takes time for your chemistry to go back to normal. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.