Tamoxifen and joint pain

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had a left sided mastectomy with reconstruction at the end of Oct last year after 3 previous unsuccessful ops between August and September to try and remove my dcis. Started on tamoxifen at the end of November. On 4th January this year (I remember the exact day) I started with pain in my lower back and I am still suffering. Also get cramping in my legs and my hips and feet ache. Doctor says it is muscular rather than the tamoxifen but there are numerous forums with plenty of people on tamoxifen complaining of joint pain. Had a bone scan but all clear. I have had enough. Stopped taking the tamoxifen about 2 weeks ago but still in pain. Different opinions as to how long it can take tamoxifen to leave the body. Anyone have any ideas or have experienced the same symptoms?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi

Did you  have chemotherapy? I was wondering if your aches from your feet could be from that.  Google Chemotherapy-induced peripheral neuropathy, I have had lots of problem with my feet since chemo, I had taxotere.

i am pretty sure your aches and pains are from tamoxifen, for some reason oncologist seem to disagree, I belong to a breast cancer group, and hear of lots of ladies with the same problems as yourself. Perhaps you could join some of the groups, they may have some suggestions to help with the aches and pains.

• Posted

Thanks so much for your reply. No I didn't have chemo or radiotherapy. I have read of so many women complaining about aches and pains from tamoxifen. Yet no one seems to believe us. do you know of anyone who has come off tamoxifen early?
  • Posted

Hi

where abouts are you in the country? Do you belong to any groups either on Facebook or the Breast cancer group? 

I am in the older lady bracket, so on Letrozole. I don't know any personally, but I know ladies in both these groups that have come  off them. I am wondering if I can add you to the groups, if you are interested.

• Posted

I am 50 years young. I live in Warrington Cheshire and I am not a member of any group. Yes I would live to join some support groups thanks

• Posted

Hi, can you message me and I will let you know about the group I am admin in. Also if you google  breast cancer U.K. They have a very good forum you can join, also a helpline where they have breast care nurses to talk to.

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the email address as we do not publish these in the forums. If users wish to exchange contact details please use the Private Message service.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.