Starting Orlistat this weekend!

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I've decided to ask my new GP to put me on Orlistat.

I was diagnosed with polycystic ovary syndrome about 5 years ago but recently I've found the symptoms are getting worse. I'm finding more and more hair on my face, chest and back. My moods are also increasingly errant which can scare me at times.

I used to be able to work out at the gym a few days a week and eat what I wanted and still lose weight but now it seems whatever I do is unsuccessful.

I've always struggled with my weight but I'm now at my heaviest and it's making me depressed. I'm 29, 5'9 (dress size 16) and 18 stone.

I'd like to buddy up with a few people who are currently taking Orlistat for motivation and advice.

I was going to start this evening as soon as they're prescribed to me but after reading a few horror stories, maybe it's best to go on a low fat diet beforehand? I'd hate to embarrass myself at work on Monday!

I've got 7 stone to lose according to my nurse (although when I was 14 stone, I was a dress size 12-14 and family member thought I had an eating disorder). Not sure 11 stone would look good on a larger frame but I'll give it a go!

I'm waffling now, sorry!

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

*erratic
  • Posted

Hi just wanted to say good luck they do work i started at 15 stone (im only 5ft4 and 32) i now weigh just under 12 stone so its worth sticking withit you have to be aware of how much fat your eating its hidden in everything i changed my whole household so they all eat the same as me which makes it easier x

• Posted

Thanks Angela! Congrats on your weight loss!!!

Is there any food types you have to avoid? I love dairy products like cheese and milk (mainly for cereal).

I'm assuming these will need to go!

• Posted

Apart from the obvious things like dominos takeaways etc i tried to keep things pretty simple for the kids as well as me ive mainly stuck to mainly chicken or fish with either salad or veg and baked potatoes or rice i actually found my tastes changed i used to love cheese now i cant actually eat it without feeling sick
    • Posted

Hi Angela

Ive also been diagnosed with Pco could u kindly tell me how you actually lost weight. Im struggling so hard. Ive gone dairy free too but no joy.

• Posted

Hi i had to seriously change my diet i had take away far to often and swapped crisps and sweets for fruit and yoghurt i also started doing exercise at least 15 minutes walked instead of using the car etc i wont say its been easy the tablets dont make you lose weight the side effects are just bad enough to deter you from eating rubbish x
    • Posted

Angela

I have cut out all crisps sweets choclates gone dairy free

I walk every day for 30 mins

I see my body tonning but i havent lost nothing

But im sticking to it and hoping for the best.

Thank you for getting back to me x

• Posted

I think it took me a few weeks before i seen a decent loss i forgot to mention i started drinking lots of water as well its worth sticking with it good luck x
  • Posted

Yes cheese is a no no I have cut down on milk by having weetabix in a morning with hot water then cold milk with a teaspoon of honey.

For first 3 days I was up and down to loo as i wasnt of low fat diet previouswhcih i think is a must ! or buy lots of andrex ! good luck

• Posted

Thank you!

Sorry to be crude but did you get some sort of warning when you needed to go or did it come suddenly?

I'm going to stick close to a loo but I'm worried about having accidents. Can't believe I'm saying this at 29 lol

• Posted

Good luck on ur journey - I'm a week and half in and first week I lost 4lb . U always be checking to see what u are eating . Best advice is to try to keep to under 5g per meal . I still have my snacks but have changed them to fruit and yogurts.

Good luck

• Posted

Thank you Jenni! Congrats on the loss. Please keep me updated smile
  • Posted

I've been given a 3 month supply. I got weighed at the doctors and I'm 117.3kg (18 st 6lbs) so 6lbs more than my scales read!

sad

I'm going start a low fat diet tomorrow and start taking the pills on Monday BUT I'm going out tomorrow night for a Thai meal with friends so I'm expecting bad side effects!

• Posted

Hi everyone,

I don't know if anyone will see this but I wanted to let you know I've lost 14lbs in just over 4 weeks!

I have cheated quite a bit but my side effects haven't been anywhere near as bad as others have described.

I must note that I've increased my exercise from 3 to 4 days. I have a exercise bike I use for 35-45 minutes.

Hope you're all doing well?!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.