Bisoprolol compared with Atenolol

Posted , 4 users are following.

Has anyone experience with Bisoprolol and Atenolol with regard to Blood pressure, pulse rate, palpitations and their side effects in particular. Which to prefer?  Which one has effect on anxiety?  Which causes nausea and insomnia, and so on.

Replies would be most appreciated as I have tried both and am now back on Atenolol but, naturally, sceptical too.

Thank you

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I used atenolol for many years, never had an issue with it. I wish I could use that instead of the stuff I'm on now.
  • Posted

I took Atenolol for 3 years - it was ok-ish when compared to various BP pills I have been on since!  It did slow me down and lead to a bit of weight gain.  I was prescribed Bisoprolol quite recently alongside Losartan Potassium which I've been onf or about 18 months now.  However, in my case, the Bisoprolol caused a decrease in my kidney function and the low dose involved wasn't doing much for my high BP so was stopped and Doxazosin was put in its place.  The switchover from Bisoprolol which slows the heart rate directly to Doxazosin which speeds up the heart rate played havoc for a couple of weeks with very scary palpitations and shortness of breath. The palpitations have resolved but not the shortness of breath , especially noticeable when trying to walk and talk at the same time!  

Neither Atenolol or Bisoprolol caused nausea, nor insomnia in my case.  But we are all so very different and what suits one will not suit another.  The only thing I would mention as far as Atenolol is concerned is to be careful if you ever have to add in a diuretic.  A few years ago there was a lot of publicity when it was discovered that taking the two together carried a risk of diabetes

• Posted

I take Coversyl Plus HD, 50mgs Atenolol, & 1mg Doxazosin...I'm with the understanding that Doxazosin does not speed up the heart. Atenolol

slows the heart. There's no point in taking medicines where one speeds up the heart, while the other slows it down. 

• Posted

Mike, just to make it clear, I wasn't taking Bisoprolol and Doxazosin at the same time but was switched directly from one to the other.   

Fast and pounding heartbeat is one of the side effects of Doxazosin  listed on the drugsdotcom website, albeit under the "Less common side effects".  As you are taking such a small dose of Daxozosin it probably doesn't affect you.

• Posted

Thanks for clarifying. I did think you were taking both at the same time.

Beta Blockers such as Atenolol, Metropolol, etc.etc. slow the heart...& by slowing the heart, the bp comes down. It also does something the blood vessels, which in turn allows blood to flow easier, & again lowering bp.

To be quite honest, I'm so glad the forum is talking about different meds...Amlodipine has become very boring. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.