ATN need advice

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was diagnosed 2 months ago with ATN. Before that I visited dentist for 4 months because I thought the pain comes from teeth. For 4 months I had only constant pain in teeth. Suddenly I started to get shooting pain in 1st and 2nd part of nerv also. My constant pain didn't go away with drugs so 3 weeks ago I had MVD. Sharp shooting pain from 1st and 2nd nerve has gone. But I still have this strong constant pain under my teeth. I take Tegretol 1000 mg and amitriptylin 75 mg but I still have pain.

Is ATN something that can just go away? Or will I have this horrible pain rest of my life and I have to live eating drugs? I have read from many places that killing the nerv is not a good idea with ATN?

I have also read that changing diet, acupuncture and chiropractor might take away the pain.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

3 weeks is not a long time to get over an MVD.  It can take months for the nerves to settle down.  I am glad the sharp shooting pain is gone.  Yes, all that you mention about changing diet, trying acupuncture, exercise, music, anything that relaxes you is good.  It will get better!
    • Posted

I have read that most people are pain free immediately after MVD and that MVD often don't work with ATN. So that scares me. I had some better days but now pain is crazy bad again! So I don't really know what to do. Wherever I read it is written that ATN is for live so better get used to with the pain. I keep looking for success stories but can't really find them.
    • Posted

It was a big step addressing the sharp shooting pain with the MVD so you should feel good about that, but the nerves can take time to settle down, not everyone is immediately pain-free.  The next step is dealing with the ATN pain (assuming this hasn't gone away) and that is usually addressed with medication and complementary techniques.  Instead of thinking of being suddently pain-free it would be good to start trying techniques like yoga, meditation, massage, acupuncture, or others. I do yoga everyday, exercise, and meditate, all have helped me enormously.

You may need to change medications until you get the right combination and then may be able to taper off after a while when you get everything under control.  Remember though, to taper of extremely slowly from the heavy meds. like Tegretol.  

• Posted

Hi one had TN for about 10 years.  You need to go to your Neurologyst and tell him about how you are suffering after your MVD.    You had it done very soon after being diagnosed.     There are lots of drugs to try and it is getting the right ones that will give you the best relief. Iam on Lamotridgene, Gabapentine and Carbamazepine.  You will get flare ups but you will get brakes from it as well.      I think that it might be a good thing for you to contact TN.  UK.   Put in TN  Association UK.        The other thing is that there is plenty with our pain out there so you will get help and advise.   Can you drink and eat and take your meds ok.     Drink warm everything use a bendy straw and put it to the back of your mouth, don't have strong flavers and drink as much as you can. Food is a problem as I get pain as soon as I put food in my mouth so, liquidise your food and eat it when you feel your pain is quiet about an hour after your meds I find. Use e tea spoon and once you start eating keep going.   Things like stewed fruit over cooked with custard or yogurt is good but watch the flavours. Pots of muller rice are handy if you go out.     Well that's enough for now. Have a good night.
  • Posted

dona,

Is you pain under control now? I have ATN too and haven't found correct medicine for me. Do you mind telling me your combination if it works for you? I sent you message did you see it? Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.