Can any one tell me if levo is working for me

Posted , 3 users are following.

My last blood test was may 2016 TSH 26..6 miu/L

Was 100mg but make me really ill so put down to 50mg uping slowly now on 70mg cut a bit of tablet of a 25mg tablet. still get tired and miagra and feeling Crap. Been on tablets for about 18months up and down with tablets.And my TSH just seems to be getting higher last year tsh was 7 and then 9 and now 26

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

If your tsh is rising abd you are feeling rubbish, then its pretty certain that the levothyroxine  s not working for you.       You could ask for your antibodies to be tested, so you can see if auto immune disease is the cause of your hypothyroidism.....   If it is, then you wont get better without medication abd you will have to experiment with different ones.     I also worth you checking to see if you have b12 levels at top end of range, and iron too....

Not taking antacids are you?  They will affect absorption .....

as you  are male, the other reason for hypothyroudism might be... A mutation in the IGSF1 gene.     Its not possible to add web site links on here, so you will need to search for thyroid and the gene......  The research was undertaken at McGill university.  Usa.

hope this gives you a starting point.

x

• Posted

Gary, if you have thyroid disease, you have autoimmune disease, as autoimmune disease is the cause of hypothyroidism. An antibody test is generally only 50% accurate, so not very helpful. 

You could check your reverse T3 levels, which can sometimes be caused by adrenal exhaustion, and binds upmT3, so even if your TSH is normal, your Active T3 gets bound up and is unavailable. You have to look at the ratios of T3 to reverse T3 to see if this is a problem. If so, you'll need a higher dose than indicated by your TSH.

• Posted

Hi Gary, I tried this same sort of nonsense for two years. Severe migraines, body aches and pain, exhaustion. It didn't work at any dose for me. From everything I've read from other people, if it doesn't work from the start, it only gets worse. This is compounded by the fact that while you're hoping to get the dose right, your thyroid condition isn't getting treated properly, adding to the problem.

Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.