Statins and facial wrinkles

Posted , 4 users are following.

Do statins cause facial wrinkles? I noticed a lot more facial wrinkles since I started taking statins. Is this a common problem with this medication?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Helllo,  I have heard many doctors on the internet say that statins accelerate the aging process because cholesterol is essential for healing cuts, maintaining a healthy brain, and fighting against debilitating diseases like cancer and alzheimers. Also, the doctor says that the liver is the storehouse for vitamins A, D, E and K. Vitamin A promotes healthy skin and can be found in carrots. Since statins impair liver function, it follows that they would also impair production of vitamin A and therefore lead to aging skin. I was prescribed Liptior and felt tightness in my liver, muscle fatigue, lethargy, depression and aggression almost immediatley, so I stopped taking them and started finding out that many doctors think they are too dangerous to take for the very small amount they will reduce the risk of a heart attack, especially since they increase the risk of cancer, alzheimers, and decrease virility and muscle function. Also, some studies have shown that mortality rates for patients with low cholersterol and low lipid fat levels have been found to be much higher than they are for those with normal or higher cholesterol levels when this group suffer a heart attack because cholesterol is one of the main ways that the body heals and repairs itself.  Coenzyme Q10 production is also inhibited when people take statins and this is a powerfly energy producer that promotes the health and vitality of muscles including the heart. Though it is debated, many doctors believe that the risk of heart attack is increased with statins because of the depletion of Coenzyme Q10 which weakens the heart muscle as well as other muscles in your body. The good news is that by following the advice in this video people should be able to reduce cholesterol levels naturally though diet, though exercise also helps, by eating red applese, beets and carrots for healty skin. Perhaps statins work well for some people and I don't claim to be an expert who knows everything, but I felt the adverse affects of statins almost immediately, so I will not take them especially after reading and hearing about all the damaging affects they can cause to the body from doctors. . 

• Posted

My mother is on statins, and she has really extreme wrinkles all over her face. Wrinkles are a natural process of aging, but for some reason these wrinkles don't look "healthy" to me. They seem to indicate to me that something is not right with her body. They're too deep and the places where they are just don't seem right. I guess you'd have to see her face to know what I mean. I look at other women her age, and they have wrinkles, but they look like healthy wrinkles. 

She eats well. Doesn't exercise too much. Drinks a glass of wine every night. She lives a reasonably healthy lifestyle. The only thing I can think of that might be causing these unhealthy looking wrinkles is the statins she is taking. I keep telling her about the dangers of statins but she refuses to come off of them. I really think the statins are causing her body to deteriorate. She says she feels fine, but I think the statins are causing rapid aging.

• Posted

I agree with you. I think the statins are probably causing the unusualy wrinkling.  My mother and and other members of my family both take statins and I have personally felt the bad effects of statins and read and watched videos about them. As a result, I have tried to persuade them to stop taking them. I have also sent her links to many of these videos so she can watch them for herself. I have noticed that the more carefully I explain it as I tried to do in my last post the more she listens. She has had to get a painful shoulder surgery with a very long recovery time and she had neralgia since she started taking them. Both muscle and nerve problems often associated with statins. Based on what I have read I think they are too dangerous, and I will never take them.  
  • Posted

Yes, I've been trying to bring this up to her for a long time. It's become kind of a sore subject, and everytime I try to bring it up to her, she just says 'oh, not this again'. But I feel a responsibility to bring it up and persuade her to stop taking them, because I really do feel like it's killing her. I think she would get insulted if I told her that the wrinkles on her face are due to the statins. She buys all sorts of creams and spends hours everyday trying to cover up her wrinkles. She's very sensitive about it. My guess would be that she hasn't made the connection between the wrinkles and the statins. I think they are causing the wrinkles, but I do not have any difinitive proof. She is 74 years old, but other 74 year olds do not have wrinkles like she does. They are extreme and unhealthy looking. If I brought it up, she'd get insulted, and then probably just justify her wrinkles to the fact that she's older, and that would make her feel worse. It's a touchy subject I guess.

• Posted

I would also like to know if Statin causes wrinkles, because since I use the product with Statin in I notice much more wrinkles on my face. I never had wrinkles, but now I have alot of wrinkles on my face. What can I do about it? Is there another product which I can use which does not consist of Statin?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.