Zolpidem - GP wants me to stop

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been taking Zolpdem for some time. I have recently increased the dose myself and had to tell my GP as I needed another prescription. My gp wants me to stop but it is helping so much. What can i do to convince him to keep me on it? If a psychiatrist recommended it would that help?

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I take Zopiclone and am perscribed 2x7.5mg nightly.  These tablets are dangerous and your doctor is right to try and take you off them.  I've been on Zopicline for 10 years now and I regularly have to buy them online as realistically I'm taking 4 a night.

I have discussed reducing with my doctor, but there does not appear to be any help.  

I hate the tablet as it has honestly ruined the past few years of my life.  I'd say it's now an addiction, it's impossible to have a normal life.  If I could I would stop them now.

My advise would be to reduce them now while you can as once you increase there really is no going back.

• Posted

I want to do a slow taper but it is proving so difficult. If I run out early I will get withdrawals whch would be too much to cope with - what can I do?
    • Posted

I wish you all the luck in the world as you try to get off them.

Which Internet site so you use? I haven't bought any from the net yet but incase I needed to in the future it would really help me to know what site you've used. Thank you.

Mike

• Posted

No, that wouodn't help. GPs and psychiatrists are very good at not knowing what to do about addiction to sleeping pills, which is what is happening to you.

Taking you off them suddenly is dangerous to you.

Google The Ashton Meethod, read it, then print a copy and take it to your GP.

If that fails, you have two options. The first is to find your local walk in drug addiction clinic and get their help (which is what I did) and the second is to change your GP.

But be aware that now you're tolerant to zolpidem, you'll become more tolerant as the months and years go by. I've been addicted to benzos and Zs for 40 years so I know how it works. Don't be afraid. You can beat this.

• Posted

Using the Ashton Method is excellent. I have reduced from 300 mg diazepam a day to 24 mg a day, without withdrawal effects. Have faith.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.