Is having unexplained pain part of the healing process?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I went out a few days ago. I was standing indoors for 45 minutes. I noticed a gradual pinching pain and shortness of breath the last few days. It's hard to walk downstairs without breathing deeply (I breath deeply to reduce pain and it works). Is this part of the healing process? I don't know for sure if I can say that standing around too long caused this. However, I do not stand up for too long anyway. Maybe my body is not used to it?

Cheers

Brody James

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

No Brody it sounds like you still have a phneumothrax you should return to your gp or hospital I have had 62 reoccurring collapses and the most important thing I can share is no pain is an normal pain... if you bend over and touch your toes do you get a cracking like pain that shoots to the top of your chest? This is always a good way of telling if you have air trapped outside your lung.

Hope you feel better soon ; )

• Posted

Thanks Natasha. I do not get cracking pain that shoots to the top of my chest. What does it mean if I do?

I seem to be doing a lot better. No immediate pain or shortness of breath. However, I bent over for a few minutes in the washroom a few days ago to pick something up I dropped from under the toilet (lol). A day later I noticed intermitant shortness of breath and light intermitant pain. Does this mean pneomothorax? I feel fine since early morning today. It seems that stuff like this happens and then pain and shortness of breath becomes lighter and lighter because my body is adjusting. 

• Posted

Same thing happened to me. When standing too long or bending over. I would get an X-ray. My pneumo was 50% and I felt no pain. Only discomfort.
    • Posted

Cheers Chrispycritter. Did your pneumo go away after? If so, how long did it take? Did it goaway on its own? Cheers, Brody
    • Posted

It did not. Actually in hospital now. Surgery in 6 hrs to hopefully fix this for good. Getting the vats procedure done. Before I came to hospital I had little to no pain but my pneumo was at 50% collapse and I didn't even know I had one.

• Posted

Brody you should go get X-ray to be sure. Natasha convinced me to go get X-ray. She was right. I'm glad I did. You only have one life! Nothing to lose. Better to be certain.

• Posted

I'm so glad you went for your xray you had me worried I hope you have your pain under control and are being well looked after.

Don't be a stranger lol thinking of you and wishing you a quick recovery stay positive this could be the end of the phneumothracies for you yay wink

• Posted

Hey. Out of icu and walking. Can't sit still. Pain gets too bad. Lol gotta keep walking the doc says the tube moves all over so gotta keep changing position. Hurts so bad but I think I got this. Really nervous for tube removal prob tomorrow. I hope this is the end of the road for my pneumo. Couldn't have gotten through it without everyone from this forum. Love you guys.

• Posted

Chrispycritter, I am a very big procrasinator. Unfortunatly, even for my health. I feel fine and now that makes me more worried that I could have pneomothorax and not even know it. However, I have had VATS once. My surgeon said there is a 10% chance it will happen again on the same lung. 50% chance to happen on the other side. Pain is expected. At least, this is what I expect. However, it is hard to say if it is pneomothorax or pain from lung healing because I am not sure. I think I will go take an x-ray in a few months or before I feel I am completely ready to start exercising a little. Cheers Chrispycritter.
    • Posted

Hi Chrispycritter, happy to hear you are hanging in there. Sorry for what you went through and I hope you get better soon. For me, I didn't move around much. The pain is crazy but remember one thing. Ask your nurses to give you pain killers that don't make you constepated. You don't want to be in a situation two weeks after surgery where you need enama because you haven't made a bowl movement in that long. I was taking T3s 7 times per day and that is the cause. Don't be like me. Although constepation is normal I hope you take care of yoursef. Do you like hospital food? I really enjoyed every bit of it. My prayers are with you for a speedy recovery!

• Posted

Hey Brody. I wasn't aware you had the surgery already. My bad. I've been walking and moving all the time to get the tube in a comfy spot( if such thing exists lol) it works some what. The docs today let my pain management slip a way a bit. I had a fever tonight but nothing serious. They have since gotten my pain under control. They didn't listen to me about how much pain I had and my knowledge on what works. They finally got to the point where nothing worked and they started listening to me and guess what, it's under control. Lol. I respect docs but sometimes they need to listen to the patients especially if they've been through this before. Idk how you made it through with only Tylenol 3. Lol I'm taking oxy ir, liquid Tylenol,toradol, and dilaudid 2mg every 4 hrs. I still have pain but it's manageable. Good luck and I hope you feel better buddy.

• Posted

Hey buddy!! I've been feeling much better lately. I feel as I am progressing everyday. My lung capacity has almost quadrupled. Still have pain and soreness along with numb/tenderness in the chest and upper back. I have my check up with the surgeon in coupe days which he will tell me if I can return to work and at what capacity. I'm ready I think for light work. I've never been able to keep still and relax so this has been very hard for me in that aspect. It's been really nice tho to be with my wife and kids all day for two weeks but hard for me to watch my wife do everything. I hope I make a complete recovery and put all this behind me. I really miss smoking but I refuse to start again. I never want to go through this again. Thanks again everyone e for the support and I will continue to keep in touch.

• Posted

So glad your feeling better I believe these big hurdles in life make us so aware of how precious life is and how quickly it can be taken away...it gave me such strength and I hope it does for you as Well! Well done for giving up smoking that must be hard as Well especially when your not able to keep busy so very very well done. Hope you are feeling positive you have come this far and hopefully it's all over xx

• Posted

Glad to hear that Chrispycritter. I hope you seek financial assistance from government. Take time off and get better. This is what I am doing. I went to see my doctor and agreed.

Can you please give me insight if having intermittant pain with a little shortness of breath is normal 6 months after VATS with little to no exercise? Pain goes away seconds after doing deep breathing for5 or 10 minutes as well as sleeping laying down. Is this expected and reasonable?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.