Type 2 diabetes

Posted , 9 users are following.

im concerned about a diagnosis of type 2 diabetes, has any one done anything , exercise meds etc and beaten the problem , or is it an  ongoing issue?

1 like, 38 replies

38 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Carl

I was diagnosed with type diabetes about 5 or 6 years ago.  You do not state if you have been diagnosed as having diabetes or are worried about getting the condition. If you don't yet have the condition it is possible to avoid the onset of the condition by improving your diet and excercising more. If you have been diagnosed recently you can also avoid taking drugs in the early stages with diet and excercise - our GP will advise about the most effective methods of keeping your sugar levels under control depending on your blood sugar readings. If diet and excercise are not enough to keep your sugar levels under control you will probably be prescribed metphormin. You will need to dicsuss this fully with your GP or practice nurse. It is also important to look after your feet and aviod going barefoot where possible as the condition can ause loss of sensation in the feet making it easy to cut yourself without knowing. Also make sure you see your GP or nurse every 6 months for a check up. If you are concerned about anything your practice nurse should be able to answer all your questions. Try not to worry to much as it is possible to lead a perfectly normal life with type 2 diabetes as long as you follow a few simple rules.

• Posted

Thank you elained27, going for a blood test to check for it , will explain a lot about physical issues , I have heard that diet n exercise can reduce the problem, I am however surprised as we don't use sugar at home when cooking , 

i appreciate your info, thank you for stopping by, fingers crossed I can get on top of it , 

• Posted

Hi Carl, yes!

My  mother was recently diagnosed with severe type 2 diabetes, with no previous indicators. We think it was caused by her medication, Zyprexa. She also had severe dehydration, ketoacedosis, that resulted in seizures and other severe complications.

When she was released from the hospital, she was on both long and short acting (injection) insulin. I stayed with her through the hospital stay and the month in rehab and monitored her food extremely closely, I was the Food Nazi. She was basically on a gluten-free Paleo diet with the addition of plain yogurt.  So very little starches, no deserts, no bread other than an occasional piece for an open faced sandwich. Once I got her home, it was lots of leafy greens, with all organic fresh foods from the local farmers market, prepared fresh daily, as well as soups for the week. I initially did a lot of well cook/ slow cooked vegetables for easy digestion, but we've transitioned now to more salads for the summer. No store dressing, only natural refrigerated yogurt dressings without preservatives, avocado oil and balsamic or other vinegar.

By the time we left rehab, she had started to transition to metformin, but was still on lower doses of the long acting, night time insulin. After a few more weeks of continuing lowering the insulin and increasing the metformin, she was off the insulin. 

She he also had some issues with a decades old hypothyroidism condition, and we fixed her meds, and went to the mist natural possible.

In in the mean time, she was having repeated UTIs, so rather than yet another round of antibiotics, I tried treating her with herbs. I used berberine with citrus bergemont and oregano oil for the UTI. The berberine and citrus bergemont are also known for lowering blood sugar. After a week, we had to lower the metformin. Now it's been about 2.5 weeks and yesterday her blood sugar was down to 80, so it appears we'll be continuing to lower the metformin.

In addition, I have her drinking a lot more water than she's used to, so hydrating seems to be key, as in the last few days she's finally getting enough fluids, and her blood sugar is dropping like a bomb! I also have her going to a really good acupuncturist.

One more thing, she seems to also have poor circulation (bluish fingertips), so I've been giving her CoQ10. I don't know if this makes a difference, but surely better circulation helps. She's also been exercising more, as she was not previously. She's now able to eat fruit and snacks, even some chips without me monitoring her every bite.

In the end, you to make drastic healthy lifestyle changes!  And you have to solve any other health problems that could contribute, as well as stay very hydrated! The water is super important!

Good luck- you can do it!

• Posted

Wow lots of info there thank you so much, thought my diet was ok , but maybe not, no sugar for the past year , so all good there, 

Will look into a dietician to get on top of any other issues very soon,

think it's been with me for a wee while but not at its worse , hence my post for info , and thank you for yours, 

good  luck with your mum.

• Posted

Hi Carl, yes, check into the diet. You should be doing what's called a "Paleo" diet. Very low carbs, low fat, no grains, of course no sugar. You can add in a little yogurt if you like. High organic protein and organic veggies. Low starch veggies, so stay away from potatoes, carrots and other high sugar or starchy veggies. For fruits, choose low glycemic index ones, like berries. Avoid bananas. No fruit juice... You'll figure it out.

My mum was lucky. I have a friend who is diabetic and we have dinner parties, so I've heard all about the carbs and starches and glycemic index of things. So I already knew a lot of what to do... Thanks to my friend.

• Posted

Seems to be all about the diet.😠  Ah well I'm happy to change..we hav been on a sugar free diet for over a year, just some other changes to be made and a treadmill to get some exercise to help out, 

thank you once again

• Posted

Hi Carl - you asked if anyone has been able to reverse Type 2 and yes I have heard of this.  The latest thinking is to go on a very low cal diet for a few weeks to lose fat particularly around the middle stomach area and around the pancreas.  I have not reversed it yet but am still hopeful and I'm certainly not getting worse.  I follow a low GI diet and take supplements
    • Posted

fat loss oh yep ..have found out that some veg that I thought was good. Is suddenly not so good, and it is round the middle that I need to lose , happy for change if it helps my health. 

How long hav you been diagnosed then, how long is the norm to reverse some of the symptoms do you know?

• Posted

No idea how long it can take as I expect everyone is different.  The supplements I take seem to be important - chromium, various vitamins, the occasional magnesium, cinnamon and turmeric.  Part of diabetes type 2 is the emotional impact and dealing with that - I feel that it is an indication that you cannot feel/process the sweetness of life anymore which is why it seems to kick in in later life when people have become disillusioned/ disappointed by how life has gone.  Someone also said that part of the illness is inflammation which is why I take the turmeric.
    • Posted

Cool, all sounds good, I'm sure I'll get balance in my life after I've made the changes. 

So far I hav mild issues and hope to get on top of it asap.

thank you very much for your response and info. Very much appreciated.

• Posted

I think the only ones who say diabetes 2 can be reversed are the people selling a product that claims to reverse diabetes, otherwise I've never heard or met a diabetic who sudden;y became a non- diabetic.   There are two trains of though on diet:   the high fat/no carb diet and the ballanced diet.   Personally I prefer a ballanced diet that contains all the esential food groups along with a lifestyle where I find myself in a good space.   I'd rather spend my days happy than watching everything I eat and being miserable.   A sensible diet, plenty of exercise, correct meds and listening to what your body is telling me is key in my books.   Not for everyone, but I'm not everyone and as such do what I think is best for me.
    • Posted

Hi Tony, I can assure you, I'm not selling anything. And in less than three months, I've been able to use diet, herbs and acupuncture to get my mom from completely insulin dependent, to metformin, 500 units at each meal. Most of the progress, I feel us due to dietary changes, but it appears the herbal treatments of just about any sort seem to help, as does the acupuncture. 

Initially the the diet was extremely strict, but she's able to eat pretty normally now, with fruit, treats and all. She's still completely gluten free and mostly organic, though.

Hope that helps folks.

• Posted

That's amazing, scientists have spent billions of dollars and countless hours studying diabetes, it's causes and effects, trying to reverse it's onset or find cure, unsuccesfully I might add, and you've stumbled upon a working method that relies on simply ingesting a few herbs and sticking in a few pins. 
    • Posted

I can see both yours and Catherine view points. As far as I am aware once you are diabetic you can keep the disease undercontrol using a balance diet and some holistic treatments, but you are not cured. It is great that you can avoid the use of insulin by controling other aspects of your well being and only relying on metphormin. As with a lot of other health issues you can have periods of remission. I also suffer form Psoriatic Arthritis which can have periods of remission for some people, but the disese still remains and can come back. I think it is very important to remain in control of you diabetes and to reduce the effects on the body but I do not think there is a cure unfortunately.
    • Posted

Tony, the point here is to think outside the box, and there's no way around the fact that my mother's condition has improved drastically with some thoughtful common sense treatments. There is tons of poorly done and just plain faulty research out there. I was actually very fortunate in that I'd had several neighbors who were diabetic, and I'd heard them talk about their dietary restrictions for years. This saved me months of a learning curve and I was able to step up immediately to help my mom with diet modification. I feel this quick action was a factor in her recovery, as she'd had acute onset diabetes, with no prior risk.

I sensed a touch of sarcasm, maybe? Well, yes, unlimited funds have been spent to do research and development on a media campaign to convince people that diabetes is NOT reversible, that lifetime drug treatment is required.

To be honest, I believed that it was not reversible. When my mother was diagnosed, I was terrified. She was in such bad shape that she was unable to walk. She had, and still has many other complications.  

Your points about insulin are well taken. My feeling is that it's probably a better way to go, except that my mother is elderly and cannot do the injections herself, and it's insanely expensive. (People think eating right is expensive, try paying for insulin!) I didn't do a ton of research on the insulin, however, I got the impression that the insulins my mother was on we're synthetic, and there's no way around the fact that a non natural insulin will trigger an immune response in the body of some sort. Since diabetes is an autoimmune disease, in the case of insulin resistance, anything that contributes to an immune response is not an ideal. Something to consider.

That said, I'm not advocating in any way that anyone should avoid insulin, as the side effects in this case are minimal in comparison to the disease. 

I also have have dealt extensively with thyroid disease and have found that with all the meds out there, there is not a single one that really works properly, natural or synthetic. So I am well aware that the preferred solution for any disease is not lifetime drug treatment, but a holistic approach towards recovery. In the end, this approach though seemingly costly, and definately a research challenge, can be extremely effective and is far less costly in the longterm.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.