Methadone detox using heroin

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi I'm new to the group and feel very anxious about doin so, my boyfriend has been a heroin addict for 15yr+ but went into methadone for the last 4 yrs. he has had enough now and is currently going through a detox off the methadone but using heroin to help him. As I've never been mixed up in all this myself I'm not sure if it's safe, right or how I'm ment to feel. Please help!!

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Kiki, I am sure that this isn't the right thing to do.

One important point - do the doctors who supply him with the methadone know or approve of him taking heroin again? I get the impression that he's just decided this for himself.

He is probably on a slippery slope to getting addicted to heroin again, which I think you've already figured out.

There is no particular way you're 'meant to feel', darling. But you sound anxious. Do you know his doctor? If you do, could you make an appointment and tell the doctor what your boyfriend is doing?

If you think that might break you up, consider this - you do nothing, he gets back on to heroin big time - result - possible death. Or this - you intervene, and possibly save his life at the cost of your relationship.

That is a very, very difficult choice to make, but you will have to make it and be brave. I admire you for sticking by him all this time. Let us know what you decided to do. Love Tess

• Posted

Thank your for reply tess, it's hard. I guess I'm hoping he succeeded at this. I don't know a great deal about it even tho I've stood by him.

I don't know of anyone else who has gone through it and have no one to talk too, I have a lot of thinking to do x

• Posted

Kiki, fairly soon, other people on this site will reply to you. They will give you advice, too. Just wait a bit before making a life-changing decision. See what others think. Love Tess.
  • Posted

Hi Kiki

First of all fair play to you for standing by him and being so supportive, i have no doubt about how hard it is for you.

If he is detoxing off of methadone then the absolute last thing he should be using to help him is heroin! Firstly he is at a huge risk of overdose as his tolerance to heroin will have gone down since last using and mixing the two together is a bad bad idea. There are two things that could be going on here that I can think of as an ex heroin user who done a methadone detox, 1 His GP or drug clinic wherever he has his methadone detox are reducing him too much too quickly and if that's the case he has to go and speak to them and arrange a more managable detox, one that is at his own pace and not one that the prescribed is pushing on him. He shouldn't need anything to 'help' him with a methadone detox if some properly. But he will have to be honest with his GP and tell them he is using heroin again as this will probably affect the dosage of methadone they may need to put him back up to.

The other reason I can think of is that he is taking heroin again because he wants to? Wants to is the wrong wording but it could have become an addiction for him again along with the methadone. I really hope this isn't the case for both your sakes but is a possibility that I have seen happen sadly too many times.

I'm either case he needs to see his GP or whoever his methadone prescriber is and be completely honest with them, would he let you go with him to see them?

He's a lucky guy having you there to support him xx

• Posted

Hi thanx for your reply, no none of his doctors or drug workers know about his detox, it was a sudden decision he made on sat and started sun. He said the heroin will mask the withdrawals from the methadone and would be better to detox off the heroin. Not sure how true this is as the only advice I've been given is off him.

As the days have gone on he is using more and more heroin through the day and I'm worried he is spiralling out of control. And using when he doesn't need to but tells me he feels a little rough. It's making me ill and I don't know what to do cuz if I say anything to him he said I'm interfering and if he fails it's my fault. 😢

I love him dearly and would always stand by him but never just for the sake of using again.

He said to me he has done it this way before and stayed clean for 4 months but due to his relationship he was in went back on it as she was still using, so I can only hope that as I've never touched the stuff he has a better chance.

I just don't c how it's goin to work tho, surely using heroin he will get hooked again but insists u can't get hook after only using for a wk, is this true??

I guess me being on here is the only way I get to talk to someone about it as I feel so alone.

Thank u for your advice it means so much to me x

• Posted

Lulu is quite right, and your boyfriend is trying to blame you for his starting on heroin again - that is just guile cause he knows he shouldn't be doing it.

If you want the best for him, and I'm sure you do, you have to be strong and tell his doctor immediately, or he will spiral out of control very quickly and be right back where he started. To help him you have to ler his doctor know.

• Posted

Hi Kiki,

I'm writing this as a heroin addict of 15 years. I have had several methadone scripts in the last 14 years, and am currently taking methadone.

At the risk of sounding very blunt...this is a bad idea. To use the problem drug to wean off the medication prescribed to help with it is not only very dangerous, it's plain stupid. The risk of picking up the problem drug again is extremely likely.

There is a safer option. Admittedly this needs to be monitored by a professional and I can only suggest you approach your appropriate organisation.

In our area the method is often referred to as 'front loading' with a drug called buprenorphine. Our service users have reported excellent results when tapering off methadone.

I'm afraid I can't divulge the exact details but I'm hopeful your local service will discuss it with you. Given the situation you describe I can guarantee it being a safer option.

Pm me should you need any more details.

Good luck!

• Posted

PS, my wife has stood by me. We have been together since we were 16. I love her so much that if I could go back in time I would tell her to walk away the day we met such is the pain I've caused her during my addiction.
    • Posted

But she loves you. My husband has been an alcoholic for many, many years, and I've stood by him because he is ill, not drinking for pleasure. Be glad you have a wife who has stuck by her marriage vows. Blessings to you both,
    • Posted

Thanx for the advice Chris jojo, just to update u he has ran out of h now so has to go cold turkey so time will tell.

It's nice to get advice from someone who has gone through addiction cuz the only advice I have is off him. Not sure how to pm u but will figure it out and message u for more advice if that's ok x

• Posted

Hi Kiki,

Apologies, I just assumed there would be the facility on this site to send private mails/messages and i can't see it anywhere. Shame.

Anyway, in a nutshell the idea behind 'front loading' with buprenorphine is that on the day you stop methadone you take structured doses of buprenorphine which gradually taper off, all within a short space of time. The idea being that the 'shock' dosing of buprenorphine helps with the methadone withdrawal but it ends before a physical dependency takes hold with the buprenorphine. Methadone is notoriously difficult to come off. As a drug it has a very long half life,in simple terms it means that it takes longer to dissipate and leave your system.

For this reason, when I have came off methadone in the past it's always been at a very low dose (5ml max) even at that low dose sleep has evaded me for days. Slight muscle aches and pains, chills, loss of appetite etc.. Usually if a person has managed to get down to such a low dose they are mentally prepared enough to manage the mental side which can be as bad, or worse than the physical side.

Heroin has a very short half life and perhaps this is why your partner came to the conclusion that it would help with the withdrawal..in my opinion the risks FAR outweigh the reward. Of all the things I've tried over the years that isn't one of them.

I hope things go well. I really do. Take care.🙂

• Posted

There IS a facility to send Private  Messages. Go to Kiki's original post and you'll see a tiny envelope under her name. Click on it and you'll find yourself in the Private Messaging Department. If you still can't find it, write another message on this thread and I'll see it tomorrow. Love Tess
  • Posted

Hi just thought I would update how things went/ goin with his detox.

After he finished the h he had some pretty bad withdrawals, which resulted in takin 2.5ml of methadone for 2 days. I then read ways of helping with the leg pain, and binding his legs with pressure bandages and deep heat helped so much.

He is on day 4 with no help from methadone or h and had done 8 days of his detox.

Although I like to think that maybe I've helped in a big way and made it a bit easier for him, it's prob to do with the pain he is in with his tooth due to developing an infection during his detox which has took his mind off the whole detox.

Anyway I couldn't of got through it without help from u guys cuz it made me stronger and stood up to him.. Thank you xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.