Muscle or bone?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've had an ongoing issue with my shoulder for a few years now and have had a number of different diagnosis ranging from rotator cuff, neck muscle and scapula/clavicle bones.

Some background info - I knocked my back/shoulder into a hard surface a few years ago. Didn't notice much pain for a couple of days and it's been pretty much ongoing since. I had an xray done when it first happened which didn't show anything however I believe it was on my mid back as that's where the pain was at the time. NHS won't do another as it's an old injury and I've been to two different NHS physiotherapists, private physio and two chiropractors all with a different opinion. I have a visible 'lop sided' look to my shoulders and collar bone and what I believe is the acromion sticks out more on that side.

I'm at a slight loss of what to do as the GP refer me to physio every time and chiropractic turns into an expensive alternative diagnose. Are there any people who have been in a similar situation and had luck with certain professionals or professionals with advice?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi, have you ever had your spine checked for scoliosis, a sideways bend in it. I have this problem and now have osteo arthritis my spine from neck to tail. My shoulder blade  on the left side is more prominent and I have lots of quite severe back, hip and shoulder pain needing strong pain relief. I'm now 73 and have lots of stiffness and mobility problems. If you have anything similar to this, it needs diagnosing so you can get the correct treatment. I did hydro therapy in a warm pool in a local hospital with the correct movements tailor made for me by a physio. It helped me stay more mobile but pool is now closed, (NHS cuts). sad  I miss it and stiffening up quite badly now so physiotherapy does help if you have the right sort and a good therapist. Ask your physio to check your spine for scoliosis. I didn't find that a chiropractor helped at all. Best wishes, confused
  • Posted

PS, it was an ultrasound which showed the damage plus the arthritis in shoulders and spine. Not much on the X ray. I had a fall and landed on my shoulder and side with arm underneath me. Arrrrgh!!! cry
  • Posted

Unknown2,

You say your collarbone sticks out more on one side than the other ? The reason I ask this question is my son had an issue where in the front at his collarbone, right at the sternum it stuck out and was very visible and what we found out was that his collarbone had dislocated at the sternum. He was 14 at the time and the doctor said it was very unusual for your collarbone to dislocate at the sternum but it would've been better if the collarbone itself had broken. With the age he was they didn't want to do surgery as he wasn't thru growing and the doctor said that he would grown outta it. He played football and had a hit and fell landing somewhat on that shoulder. Things have gotten better as the collarbone doesn't stick out like it once did because I took him to my Chiropractor that had been seeing me for over 25 years and we also found out the problems he was having with temperature differences was because he actually had an extra rib in behind his collarbone and the nerves were getting pinched, but the first place we took him when the collarbone was visibly sticking out they didn't even get an x-ray and my son now suffers with CRPS thanks to the nurse practitioner not getting an x-ray and he went like that for almost 2 yrs and now will have this for the rest of his life. They definitely need to find out what the problem is. All these things that don't get fixed can turn into larger problems. Good luck and I don't know if things are better for you now or not since it's been a few months but I wish you the best of luck and hope you get the answers and they are able to fix the problem.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.