I'm going off Butrans Patch 10 mcg could you advise?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've been on Butrans Patch 10 mcg for 3 years due to issues with my back, neck & joints. I can't afford it anymore and my doctor refuses to ween me off stating that it's not needed. Also she refused to offer an affordable alternative. That being said the only choice I have is to go off them abruptly. I'm looking for advice from anyone that has had to go cold turkey. What was it like? Did you have any symptoms when you went off them? Do you have any tips on dealing with any withdrawal symptoms you may have had? I would really appreciate someone sharing their experience with me. I'm feeling anxious enough about having to go back to living with severe pain and lack of sleep. Hopefully my doctor is correct when she says going off them cold turkey isn't an issue. Fingers crossed.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kaye, the answer is I don't know. I was on 20 felt it was affecting my mood as I suffer depression. I went cold turkey. It was 2 weeks nit very pleasant. Everyone is so different. Try as much as you can if its too much add some more xx

• Posted

It is an opioid which is a narcotic, you should taper off...there are support groups online for how to go off this medicine...maybe you could cut the patches or take them off and put them back on as a way to taper off...if you arent happy with her advise there are dr websites for 35$ you can ask a real dr online or even phone a rehab or pain clinic and see if they can help, after 3 yrs i would be surprised if you DIDNT have withdrawl...just so you know... things like yawning, goosebumps, running nose, headaches, shakiness, irritability, hot or cold flashes, sweating, anxiety, nausea, gut cramps, diarrhea, are some common signs of withdrawl, sometimes you can get by treating the symptoms Good Luck with your situation...a pain clinic can possibly give you SOME ideas to help, but long acting pain meds are best options and they are REALLY expensive, some drug companies have compassionate drug plans with discounts or free meds and some places you can get private drug plans....Best Wishes but you always have options with OTHER doctors if they arent meeting your needs 💙
  • Posted

Hi kaye 

buprenorphine ( on its own ) is addictive and does require tapering/reduction to avoid withdrawal symptoms ... i dont know what planet these doctors are from but any doctor worth their weight know opioids are addictive... these are the same doctors who said tramadol are not addictive .. tell that to my neighbour who,s on 16 x 100mg tramadol a day and wants to stop but his doctor says there not addictive 

the thing with doctors is they are not the drug services ... official drug services ( at least in the uk ) are there for anyone with a addiction.. be it codeine,buperenorphine,methadone or heroin ...they even help with gambling .... anyway these are the guys you need and they will be able to help with a reduction program and will also be able to help with any withdrawal symptoms that may occur 

the most common opioid withdrawal symptoms are as follows ( with a link to some over the counter meds ) 

1) buscopan(hyscoine) ... this helps with stomach cramps and 4 a day ( 8 max ) should be enough 

2) tonic water ( quinine ) .. tonic water contains quinine which is great for leg cramps and leg jerking ... this really does work as i had 2 weeks of leg jerking .. the first night after drinking a tumbler full of tonic water and i had a great nights sleep 

3) vitamin B12 complex( 10ug) ... this just gets your body back to normal after long term medication ... you can buy these from most chemists but go for a well known brand ( eg seven seas ) ... promotes a healthy nervous system and healthy blood cells

4) loperamide ... these help with any diarrhoea that may occur .... long term opioid usage will play havoc with your intestine so especially at the later stages these will be needed

5) cinnarizine (Stugeron®wink... these help with any sickness that may occur however you can get better meds from your doctor such as metocopramide 

there are obviously prescription only meds that also help such as diazepam but most doctors dont like prescribing these due to their addictive nature 

however as you have been taking the Butrans Patch for pain releif ( and not as a addiction ) theres less of a chance of severe withdrawal symptoms ... ive known people who have been taking morphine ( oramorph ) for 2 years and just stopped taking it ( and since its been officially scripted and not over prescribed the chance of addiction and thus withdrawal symptoms is minimal ) 

however everyones different and because of that i recommend you look for your local drug support team .. these will help with any concerns you have and can ( in conjunction with your doctor in some cases ) sort out a safe reduction program so as to avoid any withdrawal symptoms 

i hope this has helped kaye .. and i wish you all the best 

brian 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.