Anyone else have problems after dropping Metaprolol

Posted , 2 users are following.

doctor okayed just stopping. I did not know until today that the horrible, scary anxiety and breathlessness was caused by that cold turkey stop. Have tried many other meds to find a blood pressure med that works and doesn't leave me with awful side effects, and stopped with no problem. My new one is Clonidine patch and is helping a lot with BP and the anxiety from the stopping of Metaprolol cold. Thank God for this new doctor who spotted the problem. Any input?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I stopped taking atenolol which is also a betablocker because the side effects were so bad. I weaned off the dose from 25 mgs over a few weeks. The cold turkey was very difficult to cope with. I had similar problems to you...more anxiety,dizziness..really scary! It took more than 4 months to get over the withdrawal. I still take rampril....and want to stop this too. Maybe when I lose some weight! 

I understand what you've experienced,but at least your GP is sympathetic! 

Mine wasnt! 

Just to add ,my blood pressure is ok without the betablocker,but I do have a/ fib.  Take care.

• Posted

Thank you for your input. My GP was the one that made the mistake, my internist, older and wiser was the one I went to in desperation. It took him less than 5minutes to ask questions, scan my history and find the mistake.. I picked up his prescription, and within a couple of hours felt much better. It is now 10 hours later, and I have experienced a couple of light anxiety flashes. I didn't sleep well, but I sure feel like a new person. In the past, I have had to change hairdressers, mechanics, dentists and.....doctors. We sometimes forget that ultimately, we are in charge of us, not them. If anything or anyone isn't giving me what I need, including compassion and understanding, and if they don't listen to me, I look for better...and find it. Congratulations on your blood pressure. Be well and be happy.

• Posted

You mentioned losing weight. Have you looked at the Modified Atkins diet. I and some friends and family members have had great success with it. I liked the fact that I could eat real food and plenty of it. You might want to look at the book. My weight now is 122 pounds and I don't even need to think about what or when I eat. I got into other eating habits and they stuck. I am now a senior citizen, so that long ago decision to try this was a good one for me. Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.