Stopping ALLMedication

Posted , 8 users are following.

My boyfriend had a MAJOR STROKE in Dec 2015. He remains paralyzed on his left side. His Dr. Stopped ALL medication even blood thinners, am I the only one who thinks this is WRONG?

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

What type of stroke was it?
    • Posted

Dear Mary

I can understand how concerned you and your boy friend must be. Reading the advice you have been given already I completely agree with it. To write your concerns down and then you and your bf should discuss them with the consultant and your GP. Plus when you do meet your GP take a notepad and pen as there is so much to remember. Since I had my stroke I have continually discussed my on going concerns with my medical team. Or any medical professionals!. Being armed with knowledge of your ailment or prognosis. We are all different and what I have learnt about strokes they too are very different for sufferers. Good Luck to your boyfriend it is such a shock for you both. Discuss them with your GP and or consultant. Therapy girl

• Posted

He has no concerns and will do whatever the Dr's say without question. I on the other hand want to know what's going in and out of my body.

• Posted

It's possible that the Dr in question is concerned about the possibility of your boyfriend having clotting issues. If the medical team treating your bf believe that thinners have done all that they can, then the next priority would maybe be trying to get your bf back to more 'normality', chemically speaking. Have you had a chance to explain your concerns?

• Posted

Sounds very very wrong, but there are people on this forum who are extremely professional and can help you, I have certainly been greatly helped.

Trust you will get the right advise shortly, good luck to you and your boyfriend

• Posted

Ask the Doctors if he needs medication and write down all your concerns and hand them to the Doctors.  Is he home yet?  and ask for help xx Good luck

Win

• Posted

First, can I just say this must be very difficult for you both. Stroke can be such a physically, mentally and psychologically disabling condition. Are you in the UK?

When you say Doctor, do you mean Primary care or Stroke Consultant/Neurologist?

It's difficult to comment any furthur without knowing your BF's specific medical history. I'm assuming that he's younger than the avearge age for stroke and therefore has a specific condition (connective tissue disease, cardiac condition or thrombophyllia perhaps?) or suffered some sort of trauma which  lead him to have a stroke.

• Posted

We are in the US

He is 52

His Neurologist

He had BLUNT FORCED TRAUMA Wich caused it.

• Posted

OK, so did he suffer a carotid/vertebral artery disection? If this is the case then I would think that he would need to be on coumadin or one of the new anticoagulants for a specific period of time while the artery healed. Similarly this may be the case with his other drugs but couldn't say for certain. The fact that your boyfriend is unfortunately still paralysed probably doesn't affect the decision to stop his tablets.

Your boyfriends stroke was due to trauma. It's unlike the majority of strokes (infarcts) which are due to risk factors like high blood pressure, cholesterol and diabetes which need to be monitored/ controlled for life to prevent another stroke. Hope this heps.

• Posted

His blood pressure is good

His blood tests are good

His cholesterol is good

No diabetes

Itsp just that he was getting two shots of Heparin to the stomach in the hospital along with the blood thinners and now nothing.

Cat scan showed Anyerism healed on its own and is gone

Idk

• Posted

Ah, so he's just come home from hospital. Has anyone at the hospital actually said " he doesn't need the heparin/? aspirin now ", or have you just noticed that he hasn't been sent home with any? Has he just come home today?

• Posted

He was released from the hospital in January

He was just taken off everything from a new Dr. Neurologist

• Posted

So  the new Neurologist ordred the CT scan which showed that the aneurysm has healed? Your BF's risk for stroke was the brain aneurysm (which is gone) and the blunt force trauma ( which was a one off incident). If his BP, cholesterol and everything else are good , then I believe the neurologosts decision to stop the blood thinning meds is correct. Actually, if it's almost a year since the stroke then the old neurologist should probably have done a CT scan sooner and stopped the anti clotting drugs. Nobody should be on anti clotting drugs unless there isn't a very good reason because of the risks of bleeding associated with them. Hopes this helps.

• Posted

Sorry meant to say,if you're still concerned then contact the Neurologist and ask him to explain, in a letter, or an email (written rather than just over the phone) his reasons for stopping the meds. Hope this helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.