Inquiry into Scar Tissue after Hemorrhoidectomy Complications

Posted , 30 users are following.

I had the most excruciating expirience with an impaction that began with unholy pain, pouring sweat, vomiting, and screaming. It lasted about 30 min. of me manually evacuating the problem followed by me crying in an Epsom salt bath.

I had a hemorrhoidectomy about three weeks ago (never have this surgery at all costs) and I will regret it for the rest of my life. The surgeon removed two internal hemorrhoids, but the sutures I guess left this giant skin tag after the surgery. The next week took a turn for the worse when my internal sutures ruptured and I began hemorrhaging an emense amount of blood. Still have no idea how this happened as I followed all post-opp procedures to the letter. After a few units of blood and a bit of emergency surgery I was released the next morning. Thankfully this surgeon removed that large skin tag the first one left behind which caused a lot of discomfort So the whole cycle of pain began again and I reassumed the regiment of stool softeners, Percocet, regular sitz baths, controlled dieting, and constant ice packs. All I wanted was just a mildly annoying internal hemorrhoid that would not go away gone and I'm left with purple, unsilghtly anus with stiching that of Frankenstein. A week after the hemeroage scare things were getting better. The blood and mucal discharge had subsided and I was finally able to stop wearing menstrual pad (being a man I first had to figure out how to properly put these on and my heart goes out to women) but the pain was still crippling so I continued with the pain killers. I of course ran out a couple of days and had thought nothing of it since I previously had a few yet painful but successful bowel movements. This was a terrible lapse of judgment. I had no idea what the hell was going on when I went to use the bathroom. The pain was instant and that pressure on the sphincter was as if I was passing a bowling ball. After a bit of pushing and screaming agony I called my GI's office in a panic to inquire what was happening and the nurse told me I most likely had an impaction. Thankfully I had a hot Epsom salt bath prepared as is normal following a BM after this procedure because jumping in it was the only brief relief that gave me the constitution to talk to the nurse. She said this one is probably quite severe and my pre existing swelling made matters worse. She instructed me to find any lubricant within reach as I was home alone (all I had was polysporin) and worked me through manually removing the impaction little by little. Once the initial impaction was removed everything else behind it came flying out. It was such an amazing relief but left my anus sore and swollen as if I just came out of surgery. The nurse calmed me down a bit and told me to stay in the tub for a while then follow the usual cleaning and application of a steroid ointment for the inherent damage that had been done. When I was finally able to clean myself and the mess to the best of my ability I crawled to my bed unable to move. I called my sister who thankfully is a nurse and she promptly rushed over to my aid. After preparing an ice pack, and a couple Xanax she monitored my minor bleeding until it finally stopped.

So I'm writing this two days after the whole ordeal as I'm finally able to sit up again and I apologize for the long story but I just had to get this horrible expirience out somewhere. I'm back on the stool softeners, sitz baths, Proctozone ointment (which is just a prescription hydrocortisone cream), dieting, and regular ice packs. No more with the pain medication though, I don't care how bad it hurts now I will never go through that again.

I'm in constant panic that all this may have damaged my anus so much so that I will develop stenosis and be reliant on stool softeners for life or worse undergo more surgery. I'm only 22, and I'm also afraid my sex life is over or that my partner of five, going on six years, will find my destroyed anus grotesque. He's currently been out of town on business for the month this has all happened but after the second surgery he promptly flew home to stay with me a few days before he had to go back. He's been extremly comforting and supportive of this whole thing, checking on me constantly everyday since the first procedure which was just supposed to be a simple outpatient procedure. He's very understanding of all that's had been done to me and has never been "grossed out" by any of the details; only concerned for my comfort and recovery. He has yet to actually see the exent of the damage thought. But I don't know if it's just my insecurities of being a hideous mess who dies sad and alone eating at me but I'm just so afraid my condition may drive him away somehow.

Is there anything else I can do other than what I'm already doing to prevent/heal the scar tissue or is my fear of stenosis just unneeded panic? My clinic says not to worry but they said the same after my initial procedure leading me to distrust them. I'm kind of at my wits end here and any advice or wisdom is greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Drew

1 like, 92 replies

92 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Drew

Sounds like you are having(had) a terrible time

I just recently had haemerhoidectomy but it was actually a rather painless experience

However there are a few things that I hope will help to comfort you a little

Carry on with what you are doing eat a high fibre diet and stay on the stool softeners/laxatives to ensure daily soft bowel movements

The Good news is that the Body is a great healer and you will get better in time

It does take at LEAST 6 weeks to recover from anytrhing - That goes from a cut finger to a Broken leg So dont expect miracles - It WILL get better

Your Bum will look fine after about 8 weeks (Mins was a lumpy mess until 6 and now its turning into a brand new sexy model I never had before the op lol)

Your BF will surely stay with you if he cares anything about you - If not dump him you deserve better - There will be somebody else out there that really cares - Honestly biggrin

Paracetemol for the pain will not constipate you but the other stuff Codeine and tramadol etc deffo will - Better than nothing (You may be ok with Ibroprofen as well - This does not constipate me in the slightest and is a powerful combination taken together - But better to spread them out evenly so you get constant pain relief ie First Paracetomol then by Ibroprofen after 2 hrs then Paracetomol again after another 2 hrs etc - Works wonders - (That is if you are ok to take Aspirin and Ibroprofen of course due to any medical condition asthey thin the blood )

Just stay with it Drew - It will get better after a few Weeks - If it does not actually get any worse - Then thats it - Recovery is innevitable biggrin

Hope that helps you slightly

Dave

• Posted

Hi I just had my hemorrhoid survey done a week ago, and I feel like wu would rather die than go through this excructiang, unbearable, hell I have to endure. If I would of know that this would be worse than child birth, I would of NEVER done it.

How are you doing now? Everything okay?

I feel like I'm never going to get through this. BM's are like the devil sliding out of my anus. I cry, shake, tighten up, sweat and get dizzy during one. I almost pass out it hurts that bad. When does it get better?!

I keep having this constant feeling that something is sitting right there trying to come out but nothing will. I keep having a stinging and burnin sensation as well. My doctor prescribed me Valium and Percocet and that does nothing to help! Please tell me this surgery was worth it because I completely regret it!! This will be my 9th surgery I've had on my body not including child birth, and this is the most painful one I've ever had. Sitz baths are God sent but doesn't last long until the pain comes back. Ugh this is truly a night-mare!

• Posted

Hi Drew 

I sympathise - I has several internal haemmerhoids and external skin tags removed in February this year. 

The surgeon who operated on me prescribed me some cream called Anoheal privately (my GP wouldn't provide it via the NHS) - it hepled to heal the scar tissue iside.

Best Regards 

Jeremy  

• Posted

Oh Drew I feel your pain (literally). I had the op 12 days ago. B/m feel massive & hard but they are in actual fact soft & small (I pray I don't get constipated). Just had a rave look down below & it's all out of shape, looks more like a four leaf clover 🍀

I'm single & don't think I Will ever be able to get intimate with anyone again. It's an embarrassment & im really angry my surgeon didn't go through the after effects with me, as I think I'm in shock from the pain & seeing what's happened to me. I look like I was in that film 'the human centipede'!! 😪

• Posted

Hello, I just had the surgery three days ago and I swear I just want to die...I know this was the right decision but damn it has been horrible!!! I was in major pain before the surgery and I sure as hell am in pain after. I haven't left my room since the surgery and this experience has definitely weighed on me!!! I can't do anything but lay down. I had two bowel movements yesterday and they were painful but not that bad. It was more painful after I had the bowel movements. I constantly have pressure down there and feel like I need to go but I'll get gas or nothing at all. I don't know what to do anymore, this really sucks!!!!

• Posted

The first few days is torture, then there's a sudden jump of improvement. Pain wise I have felt fine except during & 'hours' afterwards a b/m.

I went to see my GP on day 13 & she prescribed diclofenac suppositories & I pop one in at night. This has really helped with the swelling/inflammation & my last b/m was much easier & no pain afterwards, just a slightly weird sensation.

You are in the early days, so keep up with the fibre, stool softener & make sure the area is kept clean & dry. I had a daily bath (or 2) with table salt & gently patted the area dry. I also used the shower to clean myself after a b/m as I couldn't wipe because of the pain.

Good luck - keep positive, it WILL get better x

• Posted

Hi Drew!  I absolutely feel for you.  This is a horrendous experience which I would not recommend to anyone unless it is a real necessity.  I had my surgery on August 4th - 2 small internal haemorrhoids and one internal removed.  Sent home the same day with no medication and no instructions for after care.  I have been back in hospital 3 times, unable to pass urine and having liquid diarrhoea pouring out of me - apparently because my rectum is blocked.  Each time I eventually evacuated the blockage but with screams and crying as the pain was indescribable.  I have been plied with laxatives, enemas and suppositories which have led to really loose stools and incontinence.  Just this week I have had yet another blockage but I've stayed at home and my husband has nursed me.  With accompanying screams I have bit by bit evacuated the blockage manually in the shower with my husband directing the jet on my lower back.  When I say screams I really mean it - my husband had to assure the neighbour that he wasn't trying to kill me!  The blockage cleared yesterday and today I have diarrhoea.  My whole life has been on hold for 2 and a half months now and I don't know when I will get it back.  All that my doctor says is experiment with the laxatives until you find what suits you. How long will that take and how much pain in the meantime?

Giving birth twice, once being breech, breaking my back, having a hysterectomy and a double prolapse repair has been nothing compared to the pain and distress of this surgery.  And all the surgeon told me was, "You'll be quite sore for two weeks."

• Posted

Wow I feel for you Dee!!! I am starting to feel better but still have pressure and pain. I've had several bowel movements and never had a problem peeing. As far as the pain, I was prescribed acetaminophen with codeine and I also have been using ibuprofen. Those medicines have been my best friends!!! Along with drinking my prescribed miralax and eating fiber gummies, and colace, my bowel movements haven't been that bad. They need to prescribe you something because even with this medicine it has been rough but I manage!!! I hope y'all get better. I barely left my room today after 4 days and thank God I can sit up now!!!

• Posted

Just got it done 10days ago omg the pain and the lumps and bumps . been taking painkillers, baths. Dr at the hospital said you'll be fine in a week. Well not fine still in pain. Would I do it again Hell No !!!!!!!!

• Posted

Isn't it the pits!! My lumps & bumps have turned out to be hemorrhoids... how can that be when I've gone thru this awful operation to have them removed!?!?! I'm not happy!!

If yours don't settle down, bear in mind they could be more hemorrhoid's!!

• Posted

im in the same boat today is day 10 & still in pain on softners & it burns when i go . my internal stictches just desolved & came out in a bloody mess so now im back to square 1  uncrontroble bleeding going to see dr today never going thru this ever again

• Posted

Hi carl

Omg you have more hemrrhoids ??

Does this mean another op ?

Xx

• Posted

This sounds bad , hope you had answers at the doctors!

Have the bleeding stopped now ?

• Posted

still seeps out & quite a bit when i have a bm i thought i was getting better slowly then this just took the wind out of my sail i dont want to ware dipers at age 44 for the rest of my life

• Posted

Hi Lisa - my GP said they were hemmorroids but when I went to see my Surgeon he said not, it's just how I've been cut & should go down... here's hoping!! X

• Posted

Hi Brad, I never got blood until 5wks post op & am now getting it with a b/m. B/M's are still painful & im so anxious of needing to go when I'm away from home, as I can't even wipe the area, I have to use the shower head. It's very depressing isn't it !!

• Posted

So you have had two different diagnosis!! God I hope that surgeon is right , well he should know as he preformed the op ! I can't wait to talk and think of something else other than my butt hole ! 🙈

Xx

• Posted

Hi Lisa - my GP didn't have a clue, if I encounter any more problems I'm definitely going straight to my surgeon smile

• Posted

Iv been fine all day then I start having pain again ! What's that about !

It feels like piles again ! Do you ever feel that ?

I'm so confused right now what is normal and what's not

• Posted

When I go the loo I feel like I've got hems hanging down! I think it's the contractions after it. B/m's are still painful, but pain afterwards is slightly improving. I just hate all this.

I know how you feel about what's normal & what isn't, I'm not so sure myself these days lol

• Posted

10 days ago today just saw surgeon 1 hour ago he said everything looked good & it may take 5-6 weeks for swelling & blood seepage to stop  yuck

• Posted

yeah i know how you feel im only at 10 days PO & im ready for all this to be over i would have looked in to other options if i knew this was going to be this painfull & messy

• Posted

It seems these surgeons are minimising the surgery & recovery time for some reason. I went for advice on a skin tag, told I'd need a hemorroidectomy, it would be painful & I'd need 2/3 weeks off work.

It will be 6wks end of this wk & im still in pain, b/m's are horrendous & I get little warning when I need to go. I feel traumatised by the whole experience & to top it all off, I've got 2 horrible looking skin tags which may need to be surgically removed at a later date!

Not good, if it had been explained properly to me, I would of stayed well alone!!

• Posted

sorry man that sucks if im still in pain 6 weeks out i know a surgeon who will have some broken fingers
    • Posted

It is quite a long time recovery for this operation!

I can't thought I would be fine after a week but no !

Hope blood stops soon for you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.