Frequent UTI's

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello, I am a 21 year old female who has been having frequent UTI's. About 8-12 months ago that was when I started getting them out of nowhere. I am not sexually active at all either. I go to urgent care, and they give me antibiotics which work, but I want to know why they keep coming back? I am pretty sure that I am getting one right now as we speak. I am overweight. I am 5'8 5'9 and 250 pounds. However, I have been drinking plenty of water, and I am trying to lose weight. What kind of doctor should I go to for this? Please help.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Desi, I'm sorry no one has replied to you yet.  I'll guess you're in the US as you've given your weight in pounds (we can't cope with that in the UK!).  Your weight shouldn't be a UTI problem - unless you're heading for diabetes.  It's not a good idea to keep being given antibiotics without finding out what your actual problem is, so you must take a urine specimen in when you next have the symptoms and get it cultured to find out what the cause is.

You ask what kind of doctor you should see - I guess that would be a urologist if you haven't got a general doctor. Hope this helps - good luck.

• Posted

Hey Miriam! Thank you for replying. Well, before my UTI's I was constantly getting sick with a throat problem. I was getting frequent antibiotics. Which I should have thought oh hey, maybe that is what was causing the problem. So fast forward, I went to the gyno, and I had a UTI and nasty yeast infection combined. Also got put on birth control. Ever since then I have been feeling SO much better. I had never had a UTI before, so when I started to get them reocurring it freaked me out. However, I hate that after having a UTI for the first time everything feels different. I am way more sensitive now. However, I am glad I have not had one ever since I went to the Doctor. I do not have a Primary Doctor, I know I need one though with the way I get sick. Lol

• Posted

Hi Desi, 

I too am a 21-year-old female. I have been getting them sine I was 11. I am so sorry to hear that they are occurring for you. They make one miserable. How often do you get these infections? 

• Posted

Hiya danni! Thanks for commenting. Sorry to hear about your reocurring UTI's. They are awful! Well, I was getting them every few weeks. It was on my nerves. I work as a monitor tech 12 hour night shifts. I cannot afford to be going to the bathroom 24/7 and leaving my patients unattended. Went to the gyno, and everything is A-Ok now. Haha I had a UTI and yeast infection together. I was given a cream for my yeast infection and antibiotics for my UTI. I cannot tell you how much better I feel. If you keep on getting them, talk to your gyno if you have one. The pills she gave me worked wonders.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.