40mg prednisolone 5 day course.

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been suffering from breathlessness for about 3 weeks now I finally went to the doctors who listened to me and did a peak flow she said I was suffering from seasonal astma and I was perscribed a blue inhaler and stronger hayfever tablets. Over the week I didn't feel a any better a week later I went back the lovely doctor gave me a brown inhaler followed by eye drops nose spray. Over the weekend my breathing was still bad ( not getting a full breath) and so I went back the Dr listened to my chest and said I have a chest infection and was perscribed amoxacillin for 7 days. 3 days later my breathing was still bad so I went back the doctor said my chest is clearing but perscribed me prednisolone 8 tablets in am for 5 days. Now I'm on day three of my prednisolone and day 4 of amoxacillin and my breathing is still very hard and I still cannot get a full breath. What should I do now go back and pester the poor doctor or leave it over the weekend and see how it goes. I have never suffered with astma befor or even hayfever and so I'm a bit lost as to what to do and how to cope I haven't felt myself for 3 weeks and this week it has really taken it out of me. Any suggestions?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi this is a hard one I was told I had adult on set asthma in December 2015 so I'm still getting used to it.. Over the past month or 2 I've been really struggling 2 lots of 5 day course of steroids. Last week I was really bad but kept thinking it will get better tomorrow I waited 3 days before I went to the dr and got a good telling off for leaving it too long to get help. More 5 days of steroids,amoxicillin and 6 puffs of ventolin every 4 hours for 2 days even though the night then down to 4 puffs every 4 hours for 2 days then when breathless, she said if I need to use my ventolin more than every 4 hours then hospital, thankfully I didn't.  Then 3 days after finding steroids bad again with the high pollen and chest infection on stronger antibiotics and on a 3 weeks course of steroids 8 a day for 6 days 6 for so many days 4 for so many then 2 then one. What I would say to you is if you are 

worried go and see your gp hope you feel better soon 

• Posted

Please research the dosage of Ventolin you are taking, this drug is dangerous: I have lifelong chronic asthma and the cardio guy said my heart problem was years of Ventolin use I only ever took 3 puffs a day.. I am now on Symbicort and have no asthma. Good Luck  . . . 
    • Posted

I only used ventolin that much for 4 days not using it that much now none yesterday 2 times today. Also on seretide and montelukast  hopefully once steroids are finished I'll get over this bad patch. My own fault I leave things to long thinking it will get better .. Never does .. Thanks 

• Posted

3 WEEKS ?  Do not leave this problem, get yourself to another doctor because this is ridiculous. One year I "left it" and ended up in hospital with pneumonia - do not play around with breathing difficulties .. Good Luck ... . . .

• Posted

Hi there I have just come back from the outside of hours service who listened and checked me over again she did a lot of listening and tapping get on my back and wants me to have an emergency chest xray asap I have also been put on additional antibiotics. They think I need have phlemonia which scares me because the thought of death!!!! Doctors for me again in the morning and xray too. Thank for your support

• Posted

Will i be able to get another sick note for recovery after all this I'm feeling so washed out and down in the dumps. On day 2 of clarithromycin it tastes horrid and makes me have morning sickness feeling all day and headachey had my xray today and will not find anything out until Mondaysad

I'm on day 5 of amoxacillin day 3 of prednisolone and day 2 of clarithromycin (had 3 tablets) and I still feel poorly and I'm now worried my doctor won't give me another sick note on Wednesday to fully recover. I work in education and it's a hard job. If my Dr doesn't give me another sick not can i self certify for 7 days or am I forced to go back still feeling washed out. I know I have 5 more days of certificate left (2 of which are the weekend) but what if im still not fit.

I cannot seem to talk to my Dr at the moment and just get told to be patient but breathlessness for 3 weeks and still breathless while sitting no appetite occasional fever it's getting on my nerves and is making me down.

Hope all this makes sense and somebody can shed some light.

Thanks

• Posted

If your still feeling poorly I don't see why you can't get another Drs note. On a plus point 3 weeks and counting till we are off for summer holidays ( I work in a school too ) 

• Posted

I want to be back at work believe me but obviously don't want to push my body after the bout I have had. Thankyou for your advice.

• Posted

Call your doctor if you have questions but it usually takes about 2 weeks to feel better for me from a lung infection

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.