Amlodipine !!!

Posted , 3 users are following.

Since taking, and after six weeks coming off the medication I have developed tinnitus ! When the tinnitus gets very loud, I have headaches and blood rushes all over my body, causing twitching and prickling in the blood vessels - the attacks come on several times a day, and often last for possibly an hour or so. Has anyone experienced this side effect ? I am wondering if the medication has affected my calcium level .

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Joan,

I've never taken amlodipine (and don't plan to start!) but all the symptoms you describe are on the list of side-effects. Look at any drug site. Tinnitus isn't mentioned as much, but google Amlodipine "hearing loss help" for some interesting consumer information.

• Posted

Thank you Lily, I will look now ! I rarely take drugs, but just this once I did , and all hell broke loose ,! Thank you once again.
  • Posted

Hi Joan9 I Have been taking Amlodipine off and on for several years. the only side effects I had experienced were swelling in feet legs, also my dentist told me it can cause gums to recede. I have noticed of late ear pressure like something has them plugged. And also popping like feeling ..Is tinnuitis ringing ? I haven't noticed that. , But. I'm researching these wonderfully helpful legitimate sites and learning so many things about side effects and am starting to use magnesium for pain and other benefits..and realised magnesium lowers BP. ,. So with guidance from the pharmacy I'm stopping alot of BP meds I have been struggling with. This post may not be of any help. But medications I am starting to find,, are, or can apparently really adversely effect all aspects of our body and lives. I'm66 and been a mess physically and more.. far to long, finding answers with Dr's is next to impossible., esp being with mostly new ones. Sorry so long and confusing..seems like new me?? I hope you find answers and feel well soon. Sa.

• Posted

Hi Shirley,

Yes, magnesium is very effective in lowering moderately high BP. Mine had always been normal at around 110/70, but went up to 150/90 in my mid-50s. As a former nurse, I know a bit too much about the side-effects of BP meds to take them for that kind of BP - though I hasten to add I'd take them if it was dangerously high. I therefore quietly tore up my GP's prescription for a calcium channel blocker and put myself on 375mg of magnesium per day instead. Within six months my BP was down to 120/80 and stayed there for the next 15 years.

Unfortunately now, at age 72, I've developed isolated systolic hypertension - that's the one where the systolic is just slightly raised but the diastolic is down in your boots. I often record figures like 140/60 these days, which is a sign of atherosclerosis. So far, I haven't found a remedy for this one. I've slightly increased my magnesium intake but that doesn't work, and fortunately my GP doesn't want to put me on BP meds as he says they'll lower both numbers and make me have dizzy spells.

I'd strongly recommend trying magnesium if your BP is only slightly raised. If it's stage 2 (140/90 to 159/199) you may well find it will bring it down to normal with no other medications at all. Even if you're in stage 3 hypertension (160/100 to 179/109) magnesium can still be effective when combined with a very low dose of conventional medication. If your BP is any higher than that, you shouldn't mess around with alternative remedies.

The only possible side-effect from magnesium - provided you stick to the recommended dose, of course - is diarrhoea, but this doesn't affect everyone. And you must stick to the dose if you want to try magnesium. It's very safe, but just because a little is good doesn't mean more is better!

• Posted

Oh dear, Shirley, looks like the powers-that-be have now taken exception to the mention of m a g n e s i u m. I wondered how long it would be before that happened! I'll send you a private message. PMs via this site don't reveal the details of either party.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.