Damage to blood vessels due to cellulitus.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone

I had cellulitus 18 months ago. I was on a whole range of antibiotics because my doctor said he wanted to confuse my leg. It cleared up after about six months but from my ankle to my knee my leg is still a really dark colour. It looks horrible and the doctor said it was due to damage to the blood vessels. He was very vague about the length of time it would take for it to return to a normal colour. Has anyone had this happen to them and if so I would be interested in knowing how long before your skin returned to a normal colour. 

Many thanks in advance.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jane

I have had 6 bouts of cellulitis over a 8 year period and I am afraid that both my lower legs are still very red. I am on perminent anti-biotics to prevent any re-occurance, as I have needed hospitalisation and IV anti - biotics. I was under the impression that the redness is unlikely to subside. As you have had it only once I would suggest taking some preventative measures to stop re-occurance this will give you the greatest chance of the redness going. Tumeric is a great suppliment as it improves a conditions including skin inflammation, joint pain etc. I also take Echinacea which acts as a naturally occuring anti-botic which will help prevent re-occurance. Also use lots of moisturier, best prescribed by your doctor for maximum effect. I hope others are able to report a reduction or disappearance of the redness over time. Beast of luck.

• Posted

Hi Elaine

Thanks for getting back to me. I had a feeling it was something that wouldn't go away. Thank you for the advice on preventing it coming back. I already have Echinacea in my cupboard but didn't realise it would help. I have only ever thought of using it when I could feel a cold or flu coming. I have found a brilliant place to buy coconut oil (it's only £3.99 for 500 mls). I use it every day. Thank you for your help, I will definately start using the Echinacea.

• Posted

Hi Jane yes both turmeric and Echinacea are good for a wide range of conditions. The coconut oil is a great moisturiser but you can get antimicrobial lotion and/or cream called Dermol 500 either on prescription or on the internet. I use it everyday but you might find it useful if you have even a tiny scratch on your leg, as this is how the infection gets in. Another common cause is an insect bite. You did not say how you got the infection in the first place? I hope someone else can get back to you who has managed to get rid of the reddened skin!
    • Posted

Hi Elaine. To be honest I'm not sure how I got it. I did get a insect bite in the garden but also fell up some stairs in work and knocked my leg so it could have been either. I will check out the Dermol 500. The doctor gave me Epiderm which is a barrier cream but I'm not too keen on how it feels when I have applied it. Thanks again.

• Posted

Hi,

Sorry to hear it.

I haven't tried it myself but may be worth trying "vaseline with aloe vera".

Aloe Vera is good for a lot of things and may help.

Also, perhaps a compression-sock/stocking may help because it squeezes things back together, and increases blood circulation again, which it turn may help.

Best of luck and hope you get better soon.

Peace

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.