Hysterectomy @36

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hey.

Found out last year I have several 9cm fibroids. Have tried esmya and had to stop the course after 3 months due to the side effects. They also didn't shrink my fibroids - mine increased. Iam booked in for a sub Total hysterectomy this month which I felt ok about. I have 3 wonderful kids and have no wish to have anymore.

I suppose Im just looking for some reassurance, my husband Is telling me that this is the right thing to do. But my best friend on the other hand is telling me in so young to have a hysterectomy at 36.

Also it's feeling very real and I'm freaking out a bit about the op, anaesthetist and recovery.

Thanks in advance ladies

X

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi Junie,

I'm sure you will be fine, if Esmya did not work for you then maybe surgery is the best option. I have suffered with my fibroids for about 8 years and may eventually have to concede that surgery is the best option, although Esmya has worked for me they keep growing back. 

Wish you all the best!

• Posted

Hi.

I am 5 weeks post op after a subtotal hysterectomy. I am 47 yrs old and really didn't want this op. Like you, I have my 2 lovely children and wish for no more so feel blessed in that respect. I had a 9cm fibroid in my womb which then extended through the back of it and has likely been the source of my back problems.

Tried Esmya in Feb but had A&E admission after 5 weeks continuous bleeding/flooding/massive clots which just got worse and worse until I couldn't leave the toilet.

Recovery has been frustratingly slow but I am 110% sure it was the right thing for me. My consultant agrees, stating that my bleeding had become life threatening. I had 2 A&E admissions, losing over a third of my blood each time.

I too felt extremely apprehensive prior to my op but this is entirely normal. You will get through this, you won't regret it and you'll be able to put this awful period of your life behind you. Get rid and move on!!

There's a great site called hystersisters with loads of info about recovery.

All the best and be positive.

Caz x

• Posted

Hi Junie,

I was told I needed a hysterectomy at 36 due to fibroids. I had a myomectomy instead. The fibroids came back at 48 and I've been dealing with anemia for 3 years.  I am so grateful to have all my parts and know that a hysterectomy effects the total woman. Despite the fact that I've not had kids of my own, just stepsons, my uterus means much more to me than just a place to bare children. I would do more research as to the ramifications of hysterectomy; our wombs are connected to many other organs in our bodies. Bone loss, dementia, bladder and bowel issues, the list of issues women have post op are numerous. Six hundred thousand hysterectomies in the US every year. I'm going to make it thru~

I wish you all the best 

• Posted

i am  the same age as you and debating the same thing. I have no kids. Esyma worked while i was on it, but now feel they have gotten huge again. Only you know what is right for you, and it is you that suffers the side effects from the fibroids not your friend. You are young, but if you are keeping cervix and ovaries I think its the best option. I had a myomectomy (failed) and the op itself and hospital stay is ok, its not that bad. Pain after is also managable, I only had paracetamol, it does take a few weeks to get back on your feet, so make sure u have support to look after the kids as you won't be bedning down to be able to cook and do laundry

• Posted

How did your myomectomy fail, How big & what position were your fibroid/s?

• Posted

Hi, they are intramural but pushing towards the back, at the time of my op, a year ago, when i was opened up they were to embedded into the uterus to be cut out, so i was closed up ! there are around 5 ranging in size from 12cm to just a few cms
    • Posted

so is mine. (intramutral) thats why they said embolise or hysterectomy x

• Posted

woops pressed submit to early. Hope it goes well and let me know how it goes.

Not sure how the fibroids are effecting you - heavy bleeding ? back pain maybe, do you really want to suffer this for the next 15 years !

Gin and tonics all round when you are recovered wink

• Posted

Hi

Everyone has different experiences. Only you know how you feel. Its lovely that your husband is being so supportive, he had seen what you have been going through and he wants what is best for you.

Personally, I don't think your age is an issue if you as you have your wonderful children. Think of this as a medical procedure that will give you your life back. I am 47 and am due to have my hysterectomy August 26th and i understand all your anxieties as I am feeling the same ones . I would have loved another baby, but that isn't going to.happen at my age anyway. I have had 5 courses of Esmya and it hasn't shrunk my fibroid. Didn't take it for 2 months and I now look about 8 months pregnant and am feeling really breathless. So I really need to get rid of it.

Will you be keeping your ovaries as this can help with the side effects. When I your op? I am sure you.will be absolutely fine. Its normal to feel how you are. I cancelled the first date I was offered because it was only 10 days after I wad told I would need an op, but that just didn't give me time to prepare.

Hope everything goes well for you

• Posted

Hiya I am the same as you, my hubby says have one, I dont want one. I am 44 have 2 healthy kids. I has the Esyma but battked through and it got easier. I dont fabcy being on the HRT my sister at 36 had a hystorectomy her choice but she is still suffering the after effects, 10 months on.

​I think I am going to suffer and hope the natural menpause comes soon....

• Posted

Hi Jammy poor you it must be awful.

How large are the Fibroids? I had one large 10cm it caused me stomach to swell and I look 5 months preganant. I had the same experience with a Gynocolgist as you where they offered a Hystertomy only. And it was open surgery with a big scar I said no way. He then performed Endomerial Ablation on me which made it worse I'm sure he did it to force my hand.

I got myself referred to a Radiologist who performed Uterine Fibroid Embolsation. 7 months on my Fibroid has shrunk from 10cm to 7cm. My periods are now heavy but no flooding. Unfortunately my belly has not shrunk so I have to wait 6 months to see Gyncology about a Hystertomy if I don't get enough shrinkage. Even if I don't I will not regret my decision as it was worth a try. My family where also telling me to have the Hystertomy cos I don't have kids and don't want them they can't understand why I want to keep my womb. I just told them it's my body and my decision. Don't let anyone push you into a Hystertomy its your choice. Oh and don't opt for a Myomectomy as it can be converted to an open Hystertomy and you have to give consent for them to convert it or they won't do a Myomectomy.

My advice try UFE it's less invasive and if it doesn't work then you still have the choice of a Hystertomy later on.

Whatever you decide Good Luck and if you need to ask anything let me knpw

• Posted

Hi Junie. I know this post is a few months ago so I hope everything went well. Did they do Open surgery for the Sub Total Hystererctomy or Keyhole? As I have had UFE 7 months ago and it's shrunk my 10cm Fibroid to 7cm so I asked the Radiologist if I now have the option of the keyhole Hysterectomy. He said yes but I would have to get the Cervix removed as it's not physically possible to get the Womb out without taking out the Cervix. I asked him if it would be possible to have Open Sugery and keep the Cervix but he didn't know.

I really feel for you for having so many large Fibroids hope you are well now.

• Posted

Hi. Yes i had abdominal incision on my bikini line. They left my ovaries & cervix. I'm now 5 weeks post op and recovering slowly. Best thing I have ever done!

• Posted

so nice to hear from you, Junie, your op sounds exactly what I would want. Really suffering at the moment, 3rd course of Esyma and my stomach is still huge. i look heavily preggers and feel it as well - back pain, very solid bloated stomach. Just had a blood test and found to be severly anaemic and need a transfusion , so now feel a hysterectomy is the only option

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.