One of the last dambusters is in trouble.

Posted , 3 users are following.

This can be read in conjunction with my other thread concerning my injuries..but this is not about me..I do have power of attorney over health in this case and I have permission to post this!

N is one of the last of the Dambusters. She was one of their cooks and was stationed at Scampton. I believe she also knew a famous dog.  N has done her bit for her country and has never abused the NHS. She is my Mum. 'N' is 96 and suffers from Osteoporosis and thyroid and is registered blind. In November 2015 she slipped down some stairs and dislocated a hip replacement which had been put in in 2004.

She was operated on..shunted between two hospitals at least 5 times, and discharged 2 days before Xmas, a physiotherapist dicharge person was here. I noticed Mums foot was going all over the place when she tries to walk and this physio or whatever they were was genetly kicking it forward..N fell inside 6 hours of that discharge trying to use the commode, and was taken back in..It was at this point I noticed her foot was raised from the hospital bed and there was talk of a sore on the heel..well it turned out to be a deep bedsore. The foor was waving about because she had develped dropfoot (found that out from step down care and not the hospital and I had to research the subject and say is it dropfoot before it was admitted) She did not have drop foot prior to the operation and there were plenty of witnesses for that. N stayed in hospital for a while and then was discharged to stepdown and then to me. About three weeks ago she was called in to the hospital and an ambulance arrived. I decided to follow in a taxi as I was unsure of why she was being called in. There were two doctors in the room..both pleasant and professional looking. During the conversation it became apparent that one of the Doctors was stating to her his belief that the drop foot must have been present prior to the op..as he said this he was smiling and gently nodding and she was starting to almost nod back. At this point I intervened and stated the facts. Now she is 96, the use of those techniques on a vulnerable frightened and hurt old lady is disgraceful.

N is sat in her armchair, she has been very brave, her leg is bandaged to the knee each week, the bedsore has not healed, she walks with the gait of a chicken and uses a frame. This is a very sad affair. Any messages of support will be read to her by me. I am disgusted yet again..and is it the same hospital? yes!

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I am very sorry to hear of your mother's terrible, ongoing experience.  I hope she is starting to make some progress in her healing journey.  One thing I want to ask is if she's getting good nutrition?  Being in a hospital, ironically she may not be getting an optimum diet.  There's some research about bedsores and nutrition.  I'll private message link to one of the studies.  Others come up in an internet search.  All the best to you both.  How fortunate your mother is to have such a caring proactive offspring!  ??

• Posted

Hi Anhaga

Thanks for getting back. No Mum is not in hospital. She is housebound and in reality pretty much room bound. Her life is now narrow. There is no real progress, the drop foot is permanent, the bedsore not healing and packed with silver. My heart aches..not for the terrible thing that has been done but rather for her to end up like this..I will take a look at the nutrition guide and I will read your response to her..she will possibly laugh at the last bit..XV

• Posted

I have to say that I've been on a journey to recover from polymyalgia rheumatica, as well as the side issue of bone thinning, and the further along I go, and the deeper I dig into the research (no medical training I hasten to add), the more apparent it is that we truly are what we eat.

Can your mother be wheeled outside on nice days to enjoy the air, the sound of wind in trees, the feel of breezes and sun?  I imagine when life becomes confined to four walls even a few minutes in the open air could be very heartening.

• Posted

I know..thing is I have frozen shoulder and the wrist..can only get her downstairs whn the cleaner/carer is here. Mind its been raining that much she has missed very little..I do not know why my text had gone funny..must have pressed a button somewhere.

Polymiagia is no fun. I know a little bit about it as someone I know had it. I agree good nutrition is vital..sometimes I wonder exactly what I am buying...elasticated bread..very strangely bendy chicken and recent scientific discoveries on contagious cancer in fish (think that means fish to fish..but I'll skip it anyway) is offputting to say the least.

XV

• Posted

Did they put you on steriods for the polymialgia?
    • Posted

Yes.  Started at 15 mg prednisone last June, but I'm tapering to 3 mg now.

I do my best to buy organic and/or locally produced food.  Not always possible but I think every little helps.  Hadn't heard about the fish cancer but nothing surprises me about the corruption of our food supply any more.   Does your mother still have any friends who are mobile enough to visit her?  I know it gets harder as people get older and their circle diminishes.  And from your point of view - I would not be embarrassed to ask for help.  Look how nice we are on the forum?!  I'm sure people in person would be just as happy to help if they knew. ?????

• Posted

I am a bit stuck on food for now..cannot drive or carry properly..a certain frozen food store a short walk away has been a Godsend as they deliver.but I have never eaten frozen food..and some of it is fairly horrid. No there are no friends of Mum left alive..she has a sister who is also too ill to get here much. Yes I have to say I need help..this isolation thing is bad. Could do with another living dam buster and set up a skype link once a week.
  • Posted

Hi Sky

I too am very sorry to read about your poor mum having to deal with all that at her age.

I know it can be very difficult for you to being a carer. I understand this as I was a carer for my mum, dad and my husband who have all since passed away (my husband only this year aged 60), so I can sympathise with you.

Can i ask what country you are in as Carers UK can be very helpful for a number of reasons like getting volunteer visits to help with your mums isolation. Help with your shopping and cleaning and much more.

I do hope things work out and as Angha says, nutrition is very important.

Regards Evelyn

• Posted

The bedsore finally healed..well on the surface anyway...pressure sores can return. The good news is she has a case! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.